R.E.M. On This Day II

There is the full show on youtube here, and an audio flac recording in the archives here.

November 29th
1993 - On this day R.E.M. released “Find The River”, 7", cassingle & CD single in the U.K., the sixth & final single from their eight album, Automatic For The People.

2 Likes

3 December
1996 - “Electrolite” the third single and closing track from their 10th studio album was released on 7", 12", Cassingle & CD Single in the US., and the U.K. the previous day.

2 Likes

The December 3rd, 1987 issue of Rolling Stone.

1 Like

12th December
1990 - “On December 12, a Dutch photographer by way of London, who had already made a name for himself (Anton Corbijn) photographing a wide spectrum of bands including Joy Division, Depeche Mode, and U2, travelled to sleepy Athens, GA, to shoot R.E.M. for the first time. Photos from the session would be used for Spin Magazine’s cover story on the band to coincide with the release of Out Of Time which would be released three months later in March 1991. Many of the photos from that session and others are iconic in R.E.M. visual history and the one displayed here of the band by the old house is Anton’s personal favorite from December 12th. Fittingly, Anton’s photo of Michael (further below) became the cover for the “Losing My Religion” single, and the rest, as they say, is history.”
(Sourced from R.E.M. HQ)

2 Likes

:partying_face: :notes:Happy Birthday Mike Mills born on this day 17th December 1958. One thing I really miss about the R.E.M. fanclub is the Christmas single arriving this time of year.

R.E.M. / Mike Mills - “Baby Baby” (1991 Christmas Fanclub Single) (Fan made video)

2 Likes

Happy Birthday!, :birthday: to Michael Stipe born on this day 4th January 1960.
Michael mentioned on his Instagram account “I’m a Beatles song” I’m guessing he was talking about his age being 64 this year. It got me thinking of another Beatles song, All You Need Is Love, so…
This was performed on youtube for The Call to Unite on May 4, 2020
“No Time for Love Like Now”

2 Likes

Previous post deleted because for some reason I thought it was December, and posted an early R.E.M. show 5/12/81 Tyrone’s O.C., Athens, GA. Then I relealized it was January. Wake the fck up Lori.

5 January
2004 - ‘Animal’ CD Single is released in the UK, one of the two new songs for their Warner Bros. compilation album, In Time: The Best of R.E.M. 1988–2003

15 January
From the R.E.M. Timeline
2005 - Forum Di Assago, Milan, Italy
Support: Joseph Arthur
Soundcheck included: Superman / Around The Sun / Turn You Inside-Out
Joseph Arthur: Echo Park / History / Leave Us Alone / All Of Our Hands / She Paints Me Gold / In The Sun / Can’t Exist / You’ve Been Loved
R.E.M.: Finest Worksong / Begin The Begin / Departure / Animal / Boy In The Well / 7 Chinese Bros. / High Speed Train / Everybody Hurts / Aftermath / Leaving New York / Daysleeper / Imitation Of Life / I Wanted To Be Wrong / Final Straw / Drive / The One I Love / Walk Unafraid / Losing My Religion
Encore: What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? / Bad Day / The Great Beyond / Country Feedback / Permanent Vacation / I’m Gonna DJ / Man On The Moon
Notes:Joseph Arthur guests on guitar on ‘Permanent Vacation’ and ‘I’m Gonna DJ’, and was introduced by Michael at the start of his opening set. Peter played guitar on ‘In The Sun’, and Bill Rieflin guested on drums on ‘Can’t Exist’ & ‘You’ve Been Loved’ on Joseph Arthur’s set. Before the ‘proper’ soundcheck Peter, Scott, Bill and Ken played ‘Teenage Kicks’ (Scott on vocals), plus half an hour of other classic songs

This is a great show! :two_hearts:

21 January
From the R.E.M. Timeline -
2008 - Various Locations, New York, NY. Filming ‘Supernatural Superserious’ video, directed by Vincent Moon. Buck, Mills & Stipe perform acoustic versions of ‘Supernatural Superserious’ at each location.

Driving In Car (Houston Street): Supernatural Superserious
Inoteca - Supernatural Superserious
Babeland - Supernatural Superserious
Bruschetteria - Supernatural Superserious
September Wines & Spirits - Supernatural Superserious
Driving In Car (Bowery): Supernatural Superserious

Driving in a car version 1.

This one is my favorite. :two_hearts: Wasn’t sure if it’s driving through Houston Street or the Bowery.

1 Like

On this day January 24, 2000. ‘The Great Beyond’ single is released in the UK, and the following day in the U.S.

4 Likes

30 January
1982 - Maxwell’s, Hoboken, NJ
Support: The Neats
Set: Ages Of You / Catapult / Shaking Through / Gardening At Night / 9-9 / Windout / Laughing / Romance / Sitting Still / Pretty Persuasion / That Beat / 1,000,000 / Wolves, Lower / Radio Free Europe
Encore: After Hours - Unknown / King Of The Road / There She Goes Again / Hunting / Stumble
Notes: Richard Barone from The Bongos joins on ‘There She Goes Again’ & ‘Hunting’, a Bongos song. (Sourced from the R.E.M. Timeline)

Archived recording of this show here.

I was there with my sister! As we were leaving a concert goer was muttering “They didn’t do Nightswimming”! Honestly some people are never satisfied. Who cares?! Great Concert. Takes me right back.

20 February
1995 - Palastampa, Turin, Italy
Support: Grant Lee Buffalo
Set: What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? / Crush With Eyeliner / Disturbance At The Heron House / Me In Honey / Circus Envy / You / I Took Your Name / King Of Comedy / Try Not To Breathe / Revolution / Tongue / Man On The Moon / Country Feedback / Losing My Religion / Departure / I Don’t Sleep, I Dream / Star Me Kitten / Get Up / Orange Crush / Star 69
Encore: Let Me In / Everybody Hurts / Pop Song 89 / Bang And Blame / It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) - R.E.M. Timeline

A FLAC file of this first Italian show of the Monster tour is available in the internet archives here.

26 & 27 February
2005 - R.E.M. played 2 dates at the Point Theatre, Dublin, Ireland
26th February -
Support: Now It’s Overhead
Attendance: approx. 7,500
Soundcheck: These Days / The Ascent Of Man / Make It All Okay
Set: I Took Your Name / These Days / Animal / The Outsiders / 7 Chinese Bros. / High Speed Train / Everybody Hurts / Electron Blue / Electrolite / Undertow / Leaving New York / Orange Crush / I Wanted To Be Wrong / Final Straw / Imitation Of Life / The One I Love / Walk Unafraid / Losing My Religion
Encore: What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? / Exhuming McCarthy / I’ve Been High / The Great Beyond / I’m Gonna DJ / Man On The Moon

27 February -
Support: Now It’s Overhead
Attendance: approx. 7,500
Soundcheck: The Worst Joke Ever / The Ascent Of Man / I Took Your Name
Set: I Took Your Name / So Fast, So Numb / Animal / Boy In The Well / Cuyahoga / High Speed Train / Everybody Hurts / Bad Day / The Ascent Of Man / The Great Beyond / Leaving New York / Orange Crush / I Wanted To Be Wrong / Final Straw / Imitation Of Life / The One I Love / Walk Unafraid / Losing My Religion
Encore: What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? / Drive / Sweetness Follows / The Worst Joke Ever / (Don’t Go Back To) Rockville / I’m Gonna DJ / Man On The Moon
Notes: First live performance of ‘The Worse Joke Ever’. Daniel Ryan of The Thrills joined the band on acoustic guitar & backing vocals for ‘(Don’t Go Back To) Rockville’.
(R.E.M. Timeline)

1 Like

March 7
2011 - 40 Watt Club, Athens, GA**
R.E.M. Timeline notes: - Collapse Into Now’ Pre-Release Listening Party. Preview of entire album, with screening of unreleased footage fimed in conjunction with recording of the album. Included a raffle, live & silent auction on rare memorabilia & other goodies. R.E.M. were not present, but Michael sent a video message from Berlin, Germany. Proceeds benefited Community Connection Of North-East Georgia & Family Connection/Communities In Schools/Whatever It Takes.

From R.E.M. Instagram -
"Collapse Into Now, the band’s fifteenth and final studio album, was released on this day in 2011. The album, produced by @jacknifelee, features singles “It Happened Today,” “Mine Smell Like Honey,” “Überlin,” “Oh My Heart,” and “Discoverer.”

"…it’s like I’m addressing a nine-year-old and I’m saying, I come from a faraway place called the 20th century. And these are the values and these are the mistakes we’ve made and these are the triumphs. These are the things that we held in the highest esteem. These are the things to learn from.” — Michael Stipe

“Úberlin”

12 March
From the R.E.M. Timeline -
1991 - Studio 1, Bullet Sound Studio’s, Nederhorst den Berg, The Netherlands**
Set: World Leader Pretend / Half A World Away / You Are The Everything / Fretless / Radio Song / Losing My Religion / Belong / Love Is All Around
Notes: Live in-studio performance & interview recorded for Television & broadcast on Dutch radio.

3 Likes

15 March
1991 - The Borderline, London, England
Support: Chickasaw Mudd Puppies
Chickasaw Mudd Puppies set included: Words And Knives

R.E.M.: World Leader Pretend / Half A World Away / Fretless / The One I Love
Billy Bragg: Cindy Of A Thousand Lives / The Auld Triangle / Reason To Believe (w/ Buck) / Hello In There (w/ Stipe) / My Youngest Son Came Home Today (w/ Stipe)
R.E.M.: Jackson (w/ Bragg) / Dallas (w/ Bragg) / Disturbance At The Heron House (w/ Bragg) / Belong / Low / Love Is All Around
Peter Holsapple: Next To The Last Waltz / Lonely Is As Lonely Does / Neverland (w/ Berry, Buck & Mills) / White Train (w/ Buck & Mills)
R.E.M.: You Are The Everything / Swan Swan H / Radio Song / Perfect Circle
Robyn Hitchcock & Morris Windsor: Oceanside / Ultra-Unbelievable Love / Birdshead (w/ Buck) / Queen Of Eyes (w/ Buck & Holsapple)
R.E.M.: Endgame / Pop Song 89 / Losing My Religion / Fall On Me (w/ Bragg)
Encore:
Michael Stipe: classical organ piece / waltz organ piece
Stipe, Bragg, Holsapple, Mills & Windsor: Tom’s Diner
Hitchcock, Berry, Buck, Mills, Holsapple, Bragg & Windsor: Listening To The Higsons
Hitchcock, Berry, Buck, Mills, Stipe, Holsapple, Bragg & Windsor: You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere
R.E.M.: Get Up / Moon River
Notes: Second of the 2 nights playing under the name ‘Bingo Hand Job’. Michael Stipe guests with the Chickasaw Mudd Puppies on ‘Words And Knives’ during their opening set. During ‘Tom’s Diner’, Michael sang with Peter behind him doing interpretive arm movements. Michael also joined on keyboards & vocals on ‘You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere’. This show can be found on the double CD bootleg “From The Borderline”, as well as the vinyl bootleg “R.E.M. As Bingo Hand Job”, minus the solo tracks from Peter Holsapple, Billy Bragg and Robyn Hitchcock. It was also officially released on vinyl for Record Store Day 2019.
(R.E.M. Timeline)
Video of the Bingo Hand Job full show here.

“Tom’s Diner”

1 Like

21 March
2008 - ‘Canal+’, Canal+ Studios, Paris, France
Set: Living Well Is The Best Revenge / Accelerate / Drive / What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? / Man-Sized Wreath / Animal / Hollow Man / Electrolite / Houston / Supernatural Superserious / Final Straw / The Great Beyond / Losing My Religion / I’m Gonna DJ / Walk Unafraid / Horse To Water
Encore: What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? / Man-Sized Wreath / Until The Day Is Done / Man On The Moon
Notes: Television performance on ‘Canal+’ on French TV.
(R.E.M. Timeline)

This French TV performance followed by an interview, was just before the release of their 14th studio album, Accelerate.

2 Likes

26 March
1984 - “So. Central Rain (I’m Sorry)” The first single from their second studio album Reckoning, is released in the UK.

2 Likes