New R.E.M. Biography: Maps and Legends

Interesting, thanks for the clarification! Looking forward to picking this up.

1 Like

Cheers JohnHunter!
Any plan to sell it soon also in Europe?
Shipment and duties are killers for European buyersā€¦. :frowning:

Yes, as a record collector in the USA, Iā€™m very aware of the crippling postal fees for shipping anything across the Atlantic Ocean, in either direction. I just mailed two copies of the book to Europe today - and, in each case, the postage cost more than the list price of the book in dollars.

For those who use Apple Books, the book is available as an e-book on the Apple Book store, for $5 less than the cover price of the paperback, and with no shipping costs, in the following fifteen countries: Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

While Iā€™m working on some ideas to have some books printed in the UK or the EU and then distributed on the Continent from either the UK or France, I canā€™t promise that will happen anytime soon. If the book does well enough to attract interest from a UK or EU publisher, I would consider partnering with such a publisher in the UK or Europe.

I hope that answers your question, and I am sorry about the high international shipping costs.

1 Like

You all, and Ethan, have been patient and generous to allow me to post about my book here, so I will try to make this my last post about this subject here: if anyone has any questions about the book, I will do my best to reply, but I wonā€™t fill up this thread with further posts about my book, but I wanted to let you know that Maps and Legends is now available in the United States on Amazon: Maps and Legends: The Story of R.E.M. https://a.co/d/2RoRJRz

For those of you who prefer to support local booksellers, it is also available in the United States at the online store of Oxford, Mississippiā€™s Square Books. Copies purchased from Square Books are signed, whereas copies purchased from Amazon are not.

Thank you so much to everyone who has already bought the book and begun to read it. I hope you enjoy it.

• John
7 Likes

My copyā€™s on its way. Looking forward to diving in!

2 Likes

Hi ā€“ Iā€™m posting this question for Mr. Hunter, thought Iā€™m not sure heā€™ll see it. I just purchased the book from Apple Books today (January 28, 2024), after reading this statement above:

" Finally, for those of you who have already purchased the Apple Book edition, its text will be updated to match the text of the revised and updated trade paperback edition, for which, I hope, I have eliminated every last typo and punctuation error, corrected factual errors that have been pointed out to me (i.e., as Ingrid Schorr kindly pointed out to me, Mike Mills is not an only child, as I mistakenly wrote in the first edition of the Apple Book, but has a brother, Mitch), and have added new research and source material."

However, Iā€™ve just reached the Mike Mills chapter and Mike is still an only child. So apparently this edition has not been updated with the new text. How can I get the latest version? I must say Apple Books is pretty wild; I downloaded the app today just to read this book, which I can only read on my iPad.

Am I going to have to buy the physical trade paperback in order to get the corrected text? Iā€™m totally baffled here.