My Latest Obsession - Alvvays

Some of my friends are fans but I never really checked them out until someone posted about them in a Power Pop group on FB a few months ago. “Archie, Marry Me” set the hook and I have been binging on it ever since. “Next of Kin” is also a favorite. I have checked out pretty much all of their songs (b sides included) as well as a live performance from KEXP. So far, I haven’t heard anything I don’t like but “Archie” and “Kin” keep rising to the top.
A YouTube suggestion led me to a similar artists playlist which introduced me to Snail Mail. I like them as well but nowhere near the same level as Alvvays. I know they have played in my area before but I obviously wasn’t into them then so I missed out. They are starting to play a few shows and debut some new songs. I anxiously await their return to NC and hope not to miss them when they do.

4 Likes

Alvvays is a fantastic band! I caught them at the Mo Pop festival in Detroit I think it was 2018 and then saw them a few times when they supported The National. Molly had quite the musical heritage but she has a voice all her own.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I saw her Dad’s band (the Rankin Family) at Merlefest one year.

1 Like

I love Alvvays. Their first album is the perfect “driving around town at night” music. Really strong sense of melody – I can see how it would definitely appeal to R.E.M. fans.

1 Like

Very nice, that’s going on my listen later list

1 Like

incredible band for sure

1 Like

From Alvvays’ new album Blue Rev which is out on October 7th. I would love to see them but the only NC show on their upcoming tour is in Asheville which is on the opposite side of the state.

1 Like

The latest from the new Alvvays album.

1 Like

This may be behind a paywall for some but I was able to read it without a subscription. Their new album, Blue Rev is out on Friday.

1 Like

I somehow missed this thread until now.

When I heard the new Alvvays album, I decided that I absolutely had to attend their Atlanta concert. I bought a verified resale ticket (thankfully, not too expensive), and went to the show a week ago. The new album, Blue Rev (my favorite of their three records, but only by a slim margin), was the most heavily represented, but its two predecessors got plenty of play time at the show as well. One notable omission was “Next of Kin”, but most everything else made it to the setlist.

2 Likes

They did play “Next of Kin” in Asheville last week along with “Archie” (the latter of which I’m sure is a given at all their shows). Still, I’m not sure I would have traveled 12 hours round trip for roughly one hour of music. This, coming from someone that absolutely loves this band. Hopefully, they come closer to my area on the next go round which can come none too soon.

2 Likes

New live performance on KEXP which was uploaded earlier today.

2 Likes

Alvvays also released the video for “Many Mirrors” from Blue Rev yesterday that was created by ConcernedApe (aka video game developer Eric Barone). His best known game is Stardew Valley. From his Twitter account:
“Hey everyone, I’d like to share a cool thing I made… it’s a music video for the band, Alvvays. Some of the band members are Stardew Valley fans & we started talking. I got an early listen to their new album, and the song ‘Many Mirrors’ resonated with me.”

3 Likes

“Blue Rev is awash in shoegaze-y guitars and lush synths, and songs such as 'After the Earthquake, ‘Many Mirrors,’ and ‘Easy On Your Own?’ sound like if R.E.M.’s Murmur and Monster were put into a blender.”

2 Likes

Alec and Molly go shopping at Amoeba Records in this new episode of What’s in My Bag?

1 Like

Molly Rankin said about the Byrds - “transports you into this happy place”. I’ve been listening to the Alvvays first record, makes me feel that way too. . :notes: :+1:

1 Like

I feel the same way.

1 Like

From NPR.

2 Likes

From last night on The Tonight Show:

3 Likes

What Molly said.

3 Likes