Mike Mills Concerto & R.E.M. Explored

Mirrored from R.E.M. HQ
This weekend, the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra introduces the world premiere performances of “R.E.M. Explored”. Mike Mills is to perform with violinist Robert McDuffie.
"I’ve attended many symphonies but there’s nothing quite like being on the stage with the ASO There’s a lot of vibration. That’s what music is, it’s vibration and you really feel it when you’re up there with them and you realize just how good these players are.” – Mike Mills, interview with the AJC’s Lee Valentine

3 Likes

An interview with Mike Mills and Robert McDuffie (Mirrored from R.E.M. HQ)
Mike and Robert McDuffie caught up with Creative Loafing earlier this week to discuss their upcoming performances of “R.E.M. Explored…"

2 Likes

“Dvořák is the Mike Mills of classical music.”

:+1:

2 Likes

Very much looking forward to attending Saturday evening!

1 Like

I’m not in the U.S., come back and tell us about it!

How was it @graceMark ?

This video has appeared Youtube. A lovely rendition of “Night Swimming.”
https://youtu.be/BB27BKleCyc

3 Likes

This was mentioned on R.E.M. HQ Instagram
R.E.M. Explored at the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra’s Stifel Theatre April 5.

Audio interview from radio KMOX, St Louis

From R.E.M. HQ - Mike Catches Up with NPR St. Louis on the Eve of R.E.M. Explored.
“Having the nerve to do this in the first place was something. I had to draw on whatever self-confidence I have, because it’s a daunting thing if you’ve never written for classical audiences. I grew up around the symphony, so I know how discerning they can be. So there was a lot of pressure to do that. So I just had to rely on the fact that I’ve been successful as a songwriter, and as a melodist. And I just tried to apply those skills to what I’m doing here.” – Mike

1 Like