Looking for an old "friend"

Hey Adam Scott? Did you find your way back on here?

2 Likes

This is good rock and roll uh music.

4 Likes

My how I wish they’d record a new episode just to laugh and laugh at the terrible new stipe solo track.

3 Likes

There’s a new Stipe solo track?

Yes there is. This is a snippet - Michael Stipe "Future if Future" (2018) - YouTube I’m not sure if the full download is available anymore. The discussion thread here - New Stipe solo track out this spring.

Oh my. The drum machine and synths make me sad. Couldn’t he get actual musicians? I hope it’s a prototype.

I don’t mind electronica, but repetitive beeps annoy me. I’m getting old.

2 Likes

It’s not you. The track is soulless . It strips his voice, and sounds awful. Very sad to listen and think, Michael where have you gone?

3 Likes

I’m not saying I won’t listen to it once it’s released but I will say I’m not the least bit excited by the prospect of a Stipe solo album.

3 Likes

I’m in the minority then. I really like it.

I wish that noise was more in the background & not so predominant, it over shadows Michael.

1 Like

I don’t mind electronica either. In fact, I really like it when it’s well done. The problem is that this isn’t well done. It sounds like a kid playing with a freeware beats program he downloaded on his computer half an hour ago. It’s such a bummer.

3 Likes

I’m a HUGE Kraftwerk fan. That means I don’t mind really well-done electronica at all. This Stipe track sounds like a mini '80s Casio keyboard I had as a kid. It’s just awful in all aspects, as are most of his solo tracks.

1 Like

Not sure if he’s playing around & experimenting with a keyboard or some computer beats program to create the music to his solo releases, but if he is, I hope he’s having fun.

He actually did.

@ethank , Was that the answer to my original question?
Or one of these others that hijacked the thread?

2 Likes

Ethan, do you know if Michael is eventually going to release an album with his solo tracks on it? We got 5 I think, single track downloads. I’m looking forward to an album.

In Michael’s most recent interview with 99x Atlanta last month, he now says his solo album won’t come out until 2024. I’m not holding my breath but I do hope he releases it.

There is a thread about the 99x Atlanta interview with Michael here. Several projects going on including a solo album.