Kid R.E.M. remarks (“Nerd Band”

Reflections from my 8 year old on R.E.M.:

1. “I don’t want you to take this the wrong way but R.E.M. is a nerd band, but a nerd band everyone likes.” She went on to tell most nerd bands don’t go very far.

Favorite songs of her: 1. Shiny Happy People 2. Stand 3. Nightswimming 4. Imitation of Life

Anyone else care to share kid reactions to R.E.M.?

7 Likes

My kids were both raised around the band a whole lot. Eli met Michael when he was 2 and promptly knocked over his bike during a meeting.

But over all, they love the band, and have met most of them over time.

My wife however, never a big REM fan.

7 Likes

I have video of my then 1 and a bit year old goddaughter dancing to Orange Crush on TV (the bit of footage @BlackbirdsBackwards posted, so clearly she liked that mad lad’s dancing, too). She also likes to sing along with The One I Love, so clearly I’m a good influence on her. :wink:

4 Likes

She’ll lose her mind if you show her Stand!

3 Likes

On a recent train journey with my 14 year old daughter, we swapped top 10’s - I listened to her top 10 Taylor Swift, she listened to my top 10 R.E.M.

She didn’t like Country Feedback (“he told me to f-off”) or Hairshirt (“bit dull”), but agreed that These Days and Harborcoat (my #1) were “absolute bangers”. There’s hope yet!

6 Likes

Y’know, there’s an idea! :smiley: Mind, she’s not quite 2 1/2, so I fear that as yet the moves would be a bit beyond her.

3 Likes

I was pregnant with my first child when Accelerate was released. She had been calm all evening but I was staying up to watch their spot on the Colbert Report. That baby kicked into high gear about 2 measures in to Supernatural Superserious and danced the entire song through. She’s stayed a fan.

My youngest goes along with all of it. He’s 10. I was listening to Drive a lot while I was learning it on bass, and every time Michael sang, “hey, kids, nobody tells you what to do” I would hear a voice saying “except my Mom.”

5 Likes

My 6 yo boy loves “We will rock you” and “Rock and roll all nite”. That would be all. :joy:

3 Likes

My (at that time) little cousin, around the time when Reveal was released, said - “who’s R.E.M.? That Imitation Of Life band? Oh, they’re rubbish”

Rarely have I been made to feel so lame :neutral_face::laughing:

1 Like

Story time.

When my daughter (now 6) was around 1, 1 1/2, I ran an experiment. The drive to daycare was a short 5 minutes - enough to listen to one song. So we listened to the same song every drive. Eventually she caught on and she started singing along to “Man On the Moon”. Sometimes I had to use YouTube and she would say “it’s the man in the hat!”.

So I kept this going with other songs and developed a playlist. A sampling of other songs she liked (and how she described them):

The Gaslight Anthem - Great Expectations (“crazy music”)
The Gaslight Anthem - Meet Me by The River’s Edge (“Sally says”)
LCD Soundsystem - Dance Yrself Clean (“present company”)
The B52s - Rock Lobster (“down, down, down”)
Bowie - Let’s Dance
Kraftwerk - Trans Europa Express (“they sound like robots”)
Gorillaz - Clint Wastwood (thanks to Trolls)
Pavement - Fight This Generation

I kept adding songs to the playlist and her little brother (now 3) has joined in on the following:
The Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop
Harry Styles - Watermelon Sugar
Ian Hunter & POTUSA - Cleveland Rocks
Wilco - Shot In The Arm
Baha Men - Who Let The Dogs Out?
Pharrell Williams - Happy
R.E.M. - Superman
John Denver - Take Me Home, Country Roads

I started a whole new playlist and the two of them know the chorus of B.O.B. by Outkast and have been jamming to This Year by The Mountain Goats. And the 3yo is air-drumming to Poison by Bel Biv DeVoe.

One day they’ll thank me

4 Likes

:grin: That’s fantastic, lol!!!

1 Like

Even the writer of this post can be regarded as a kid (I’m 16), but I love most of their songs, therefore I don’t think it’s necessary to talk about my remarks…
My 12 years old brother might be more interesting: his top 5 is Drive, Fall On Me, End Of The World, Losing My Religion and Man On The Moon. He doesn’t really like REM in general because he finds most of their songs boring, especially So Central Rain and E-bow The Letter :cry: His music taste is quite good btw, his faves are Guns’N Roses, Dire Straits and Depeche Mode.
My 10 years old sister’s favourite REM songs are:

• (she doesn’t care about them)
1 Like

Quick shuffle with my son (7). His normal favorite music is the Pete the Cat soundtrack, Christmas music, and TMBG - Robot Parade.

Elvis Perkins - Shampoo: “Definitely sounds like soap”

Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees: “I like his voice”

Junius Meyvant - Until the Last Minute: “Pretty weird”

Tarkio - Keeping me Awake: “Why did they call it that?”

REM - Daysleeper: “I like it”

Uncle Tupelo - True to Life: “What even is this song?”

Moon Hooch - Number 5: “why aren’t there any words?”

Decemberists - Your Ghost: “This is my favorite because it is about ghosts.”

3 Likes