Has Murmurs Run Its Course?

Very true! seeing someone else online at the same time is like seeing an unicorn…
Nevertheless I still like to regularly come back, hoping someone someday will reply to one of my threads lol

1 Like

I was listening on Spotify earlier, and noticed R.E.M. are now at almost 17m monthly listeners! That’s some impressive growth since my previous comment. More so considering there’s currently no “re-heat” moment like a re-release or other media attention.

4 Likes

Looks like REM are having a moment :slight_smile: :+1:t5: :notes:!

1 Like

If anyone is interested I took a look at monthly listeners for Pixies, Sonic Youth and REM as these are quoted above from last September:

Sonic Youth Sep22 1.9M Nov23 1.8M Growth -5%
Pixies Sep22 6M Nov23 9.5M Growth 58%
REM Sep22 14.5M Nov23 18.4M Growth 27%

8 Likes

That’s good. Hopefully more people will continue to discover them.

2 Likes

Just looking back on this and realizing that your hope of R.E.M. being featured prominently in a hit TV show came true to a degree with Strange Currencies and Half A World Away being central to The Bear season 2. Although not IRS-era and not quite the same primarily younger demographic that made the Kate Bush song such a viral hit all those years later, I’m hopeful that it showed some people that 90’s R.E.M. has much more to offer than just the mega-hits and has created more interest in the band.

2 Likes

I’ve been encouraging my daughter and son in law to watch The Bear not only for the acting/script etc ( 6 Emmys- that’s some going!) but for the music, specifically REM- Oh My Heart, Strange Currencies…

1 Like

Hmmm. My original murmurs username has been restored. Too boring to go into, but it got changed by a bot. Had to use another for awhile but soon fed up with it, even though it was close enough for peeps to know it was me. Ethan, if you fixed it, thanx. If murmurs had some kind of spasm that day or whatever and recovered , it’s good to have my old moniker back.

1 Like