Gigs you've been to lately

I was sure there was already a thread for this but I can’t find one…

Last night I saw DakhaBrakha in Glasgow. Wow. Just wow. Absolutely blown away. One of the best gigs I’ve ever been to. Emotional, powerful, beautiful.

3 Likes

Not a whole lot recently. There was Carbon Leaf in December with the whole family (all-ages afternoon show, they usually do a couple of those in December each year, which have been my kids’ first concert experiences).

There are a couple coming up in the next few weeks. Carbon Leaf again (no kids this time), and a chamber music concert from the local baroque group – looks like it’s featuring a recorder player (recorderist?) doing Bach/CPE Bach/Telemann.

3 Likes

The last concert I went to was Albano Carrisi, an Italian tenor & Romina Power, in Oct. 23. The Adelaide Fringe festival is coming next month, my sister asked me to see The Carpenters Songbook tribute with her. I’m going.

1 Like

This was on Friday. Having seen them 40 times or something I end up mostly judging the shows by if there’s anything unusual in the setlist. The band is always good, which is why I’ve seen them 40 times, but there’s a few songs I’ve probably seen 38 times that are sort of “yep, I know this one.”

Anyway, Friday’s show had a song from 2020 that I think is the first time they’ve ever played it in a full concert, so +1 there.

This was good. The CPE Bach piece was a trio sonata for, of all arrangements, bass recorder/viola/continuo. The program notes mentioned that there must have been some reason for that combination but nobody now knows what it was. I don’t think I’ve seen a bass recorder before. About the size of a bass clarinet I guess (which we had in my high school band class).

Another interesting one they played was a Telemann work. Telemann was something of a pioneer among composers in the area of publishing and selling music to the public (JS Bach, his contemporary, published very little during his lifetime, for example). This piece was arranged for “two violins, or two flutes, or two recorders” – apparently a business move to increase the potential market for it. They performed it the other night on one recorder/one violin.

1 Like

A couple of pics from the last show I went to, The Carpenters Songbook (Night Owl Shows)
Reine Beau Anderson Dudley, beautilful vocals & backed by a great band. They will also be performing other tributes. I’m aiming to go to The Blondie Story next month.

2 Likes

Night one of two nights with Yo La Tengo in NOLA. The first show was referred to as “the Freewheeling Yo La Tengo” during which the band fielded questions from the audience and responded with random acoustic songs (including some very interesting covers). Tomorrow night is being billed as “An Evening with Yo La Tengo.” I’m guessing it will be more of a traditional show in which they play their own stuff. The first show, which was my first concert of the year, was fantastic. Looking forward to tomorrow night.

3 Likes

I am learning so much about new and different music on this website. Fantastic thank you.

1 Like

Saw King Creosote a couple of weeks ago. Cracking gig with a career-spanning set, though obviously a lot from his most recent (brilliant) album.

Kathryn Williams and Withered Hand next up, in Glasgow in a couple of weeks. Excited about that. Can’t wait for the album next week. The songs I’ve heard so far are awesome.

2 Likes

Went to see Kathryn Williams and Withered Hand (AKA Dan Wilson) in Glasgow the other night. Loved it. They each did a short solo set as a support act, before performing their new album in full together.

Lots of self-deprecating humour, good vibes, and wonderful music. Just a lovely evening.

I bought my favourite Kathryn Williams album on vinyl and had the chance to tell her how much it meant to me at the end. She signed a lovely message on it.

Highly recommend their album.

1 Like