Football (soccer)

That clause was a huge mistake. Every single Benfica follower realised it immediately. But he had the weight Felix on his back and sometimes managers do have to be patient, director do have to be patient and have to realize that some player can show full potential right away at senior level and others need some more time and to get more chances.
Benfica is by far the biggest club in Portugal, 50% of all Portuguese follow the club, but also many, many portuguese descendants around the world, for instance did you know the former French footballer is a huge Benfica fan? All the newspapers in the country make covers with Benfica and his players every single day, many tv stations in here talk about it for 3-4 hours every night. So itā€™s difficult sometimes for a kid that has always been a wonder kid and started to be the best in every single Benfica team since he was 8 or 9 years old.
Plus his loan to Spain didnā€™t work.

He needed a fresh startā€¦

I can confess that I have common friends with his dad and tell you that staying in Scotland is very likely. But who knows?

1 Like

I hope youā€™re right! We love him here.

agree, but dont forget serie a, top 4 is crazy at the moment.

@pcsousa

Well done to Benfica last night!

2 Likes

Thanks, it was quite nice, we were clever. Reachead the quarter-finals 6 years later wich is a long time for a club with such history. But like I always says, the history is past and we have to live for the moment.
Must confess I was not very confident, we havenā€™t been in a good shape this season and Ajax made a perfect group stage.
Nevertheless, it is or 18th or 19th time in the quarter-final (counting with the european cup) and it is always pleasent to be there, even thought almost all other opponents are much stronger (except perhaps for Villareal) and itā€™s not that often a club apart from the big-5 leagues reach this stage (only 7 for the last 10 years), and lets see how it goes. Since 2004 only one team apart from the big 5 leagues reached the semi-finals, wich was Ajax in 2019 (if Iā€™m not wrong).

Thatā€™s why I personally miss old footbal, when it was possible for Steaua or Red Star to lift the trophy.

2 Likes

Me too. I used to love the European Cup/Champions League. But the way it is now, only the teams from the top 4 or 5 leagues have any chance.

Itā€™s sad how many great names from European football are now ā€˜smallā€™ teams that rarely progress very far. Like the ones you mention. And others like Feyenoord, Anderlecht, and Benfica and Celtic!

Iā€™ll be cheering for Benfica in the next round, whoever they get.

I donā€™t like the plan for the new CL format, do you?

2 Likes

I miss the old European Cup and also the ā€œEuropean weeksā€ with Uefa Cup on Tuesdays, European Cup on Wednesdays and Cup Winners Cup on Thursdays. All knock down on two legs.
Also miss much about footbal pre-Bosman. Then fan related more with the players, since most of them were from the clubs countries and were ā€œbornā€ at their clubs. An example: there was much mire passion at the Bernabeu on the 80ā€™s when they won the Uefa Cups with the ā€œQuinta del Buitreā€ than now.
And anyone can understand that when a club win an European Cup, like Celtic did, with all players being from the Glasgow area or like Benfica did with all players being portuguese (although some born in the african colonies) was special because even the players related more tk the club and remained there for most of their carrers.

Plus, it was possible for Benfica, PSV, Celtic, Red Star, Malmoe, Panathinaikos, Partizan, Brugge to achieve the final of a major competition.

Since 2004, all finalists came from 4 countries except for PSG (once) and thatā€™s a shame.

I understand that ā€œmoney talksā€.

But how cool would it be to see a Champions League final Benfica-Celtic or Feyenoord-Red Star? Well, probably not so funny for the English or Spanish or for most of the asiansā€¦

My first European match in the stadium was an European Cup semi-final in 88, Benfica - Steaua, 120.00 people, crazy environment, Rui Ɓguas scored both goals (the son of the captain who lifted two European Cups for the club), 2 years later, another European Cup semi-final, Benfica 1 - Marseille 0, another 120.000 fans exploding with joy. I was just a kid back then and cried like a small baby.

Would like to see a Champions league with a maximum 2 club per country and more countries represented. That would be a blast.

1 Like

Me too.

Tough draw for Benfica! Liverpool are possibly the best team in the world right now. But anything can happen!

1 Like

Almost impossible, but miracles sometimes happen. I recall the last time Benfica faced Liverpool in the CL, back in 2006ā€¦ they were european chmpions back then, and after a close win 1-0 in Lisbon we won in Anfield 2-0.
Sure, I think this is a stronger Liverpool.

Whoever wins, will most likely face Bayern and they are also very, very strong. The strongest are definitively Pool, Bayern and City.

We were not very luckyā€¦

Well, Iā€™ll be cheering you on! Maybe next season weā€™ll see Benfica v Celtic in the CL? But who will Jota be playing for?!

1 Like

I think he will stay in Scotland next season unless you guy donā€™t wanna buy him.

No chance of that. We love him!

1 Like

So, Jota signed for Celtic. Weā€™re very happy! We love him. A big loss for Benfica. But I think heā€™ll be back there one day. After heā€™s conquered the world!