First Post-Lockdown Gig

Saw some death metal bands (Cannibal Corpse , Whitechapel, Revication and Shadow of Intent) with my teenage son last week. First post lockdown show. Will see Sparks tomorrow. Pictured is Revocation.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve missed going to live gigs so much. This was my first since U2 Joshua Tree tour in 2019. Pearl Jam tribute band from Melbourne celebrating 30 years of Ten.

2 Likes

Not the first, but tonight Iā€™m going to see Travis. Made the booking in 2020, completely forgot about it, got email with 2 seat numbers. Travis!
Always loved them, never got to see them, so Iā€™m very excited. Been listening to some of my fave old songs and they still evoke all kinds of feelings. That in my estimation defines a good band. They are in the REM category of music that whatever your mood, it speaks to your soul. In the first incarnation of murmurs it was on my playlist of songs to listen to when youā€™re contemplating death. It was REM, Travis, and Crowded House. Next month Iā€™m ( hopefully) seeing CH for the first time. Bought scalped tix in 2020. So maybe Iā€™ve been ripped off and Iā€™ll lose out Crowded House. But itā€™s Travis tonight, and Iā€™m stoked for it.

3 Likes

Iā€™m going to see the Violent Femmes in two weeks and the Indigo Girls a week after that. I am stupid excited for both.

4 Likes

Fuck. Accidentally deleted review. Thought the preview was the reviewā€¦ Much shorter review but when I tried c/p it had Unformatted the whole bloody thing.

Travis were stunning.

Saved you a whole lot of reading there. Ethan, I no understand. The pc way of recovering stuff doesnā€™t work on apple devices I guess.

Oh well. SFA. Always the tech idiot. Some things donā€™t change.

1 Like

Drive-By Truckers with Wednesday this Sunday at Greenfield Lake Ampitheatre in Wilmington, NC. This will be my third show since January of 2020. Technically, the fourth. I attended a show back in May by Into the Fog but it was rained out about 30 minutes into their set. This also stands to be the third DBTā€™s show where the opener performs one of their songs. The first was a band called Jesco Whiteā€™s Army doing ā€œDemonic Possessionā€ at Firebelly Lounge (also in Wilmington) in 2001. The second was in May at Catā€™s Cradle in Carrboro where on the last night of that leg of the tour, she covered ā€œWife Beater.ā€ Wednesday (from Asheville) covers ā€œWomen Without Whiskeyā€ on their debut (and so far, only) album. So, Iā€™m guessing the chances are pretty good that theyā€™ll perform it on Sunday.

https://youtu.be/Fp5spiO3nQI

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing Anna Tivel with Lou Hazel at Bourgie Nights in Wilmington, NC tonight. It will be my first visit to this venue. I have the day off today so I plan to spend most of it in Wilmington.

Not the first by a long stretch, but since lockdown finished I saw The Fratellis,Crowded House, Travis, and very recently, Al Stewart, who is 77! Oh God,time is outta control. All great gigs, but the prize goes to Al. Partly because Iā€™ve loved his music since the 70ā€™s, knew every word to every song. He did a little introduction to each number. Good stage patter, fabulous backing band. Peter White! On guitar and piano. And of course Al himself who was in fine voice. Itā€™s so great (but expensive) to be going to actual gigs again! Also saw The Chorus of Man which is a musical built around the cast members who all sing and play well known covers with audience participation. Fine drummer, with additional percussion from a superb tapper. Me and tap, a love story. Wasnā€™t sure Iā€™d like it, but it was amazing and I loved it. Monday Iā€™m going to see Show Of Hands. Folk, but great folk. Unapologetically British, but I defy anyone to see them live and not come away impressed. Seen them probably 10 times and always come out buzzing.

2 Likes

You mention Al Stewart & I was reminded of the masterpiece, The Year Of The Cat. :black_cat::musical_score: :notes: :two_hearts:

1 Like

That was the encore! Had a superb sax player for the break and Peter Whiteā€™s Spanish guitar. Every post lockdown gig was good, but Al Stewart was the best. I was transported to my happy place. Where R.E.M. used to take me. Those artists are few.

1 Like

Drive-By Truckers would be at the top of that list for me but theyā€™re not alone. In more recent memory Iā€™ve had transcendent experiences at shows by Phil Cook and the Guitarheels (heā€™s formerly of Megafaun), Hiss Golden Messenger, Lilly Hiatt, H.C. McEntire (of Mount Moriah), and Lydia Loveless, just to name a few off the top of my head.

1 Like