Favourite bands besides R.E.M.?

There could be no comprehensive list for me. I’ll listen to and enjoy anything from the 40’s up through the present, though I tend to listen to a lot of alt rock/pop the most. I’ll just list a few of what I’ve been listening to the most lately.
Fav band ever after our boys.
Matt pond PA and it’s derivatives.
Concrete Blonde
Velvet Moon
Middle Kids
Now Now
Rufus Du’Sol
Explosions in the Sky
Arab Strap n derivatives.
Anything Alexa decides to play me on any particular day.

2 Likes

R.E.M. is by far my favourite band, they wrote the soundtrack to my life and every single important moment in my life since I was 16 years old (30 years ago) is illustrated by an R.E.M. song.

Apart from that, there are also a few band/artists that I really like:

• A couple of portuguese singers/ bands, being the singers mostly the ones who sang Coimbra’s fado, like Zeca Afonso, Adriano or Luiz Goes and a some pop/rock bands Delfins, Xutos & Pontapés, GNR, Resistência.
  • James, an English band from Manchester. Really like them a lot.
  • The Beach Boys. Always… hope to see them live this summer, well… a weird kind of The Beach Boys, but since I already got the chance of attending a Brian Wilson concert, this time I will get the chance to see the “hated” (not by me) Mike Love.
  • Nirvana
  • Pearl Jam
  • Placebo
  • Blink 182
  • Bryan Adams, my favourite solo artist, got the chance to see him in concert and also met him recently. A great singer and a very nice guy.
  • Patti Smith, wich I discovered through R.E.M.
  • U2 in a minor scale.
  • Coldplay, also in a minor scale.

And that’s it for me.

2 Likes

Talking Heads, David Bowie, The Beatles, Interpol, Patti Smith, We Are Scientists, Orville Peck, Pretenders, Pylon (thank you R.E.M.) The Cure, Husker Du, The Replacements, Otis Redding to name a few…

3 Likes

These are the bands I never get tired of: Public Image Limited, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Fetchen’ Bones, Wire, Jane’s Addition, The Replacements, Bob Marley, B-52s, Cotton Jones, Camper Van, Slint, Futurebirds,Funckadelic, Love and Rockets.

In 1999 I loved The Replacements, Sparklehorse, Teenage Fanclub, The Posies, Grant Lee Buffalo, Nick Drake, Elliott Smith, Aimee Mann, just to name a few. (I still do.)

Some of my favorites from this century: The National, Phoebe Bridgers, A Girl Called Eddy, Interpol, Alvvays, Hazel English, Sharon Van Etten, The War on Drugs, Taylor Swift. I think about 80% of the music I listen to is brand new releases, I’m that ”How do you do, fellow kids” guy. :smiley:

Bonus: my fave albums of 2021 (alphabetical order):

Arooj Aftab: Vulture Prince
Lucy Dacus: Home Video
Japanese Breakfast: Jubilee
Cassandra Jenkins: An Overview on Phenomenal Nature
Low: HEY WHAT
Sun June: Somewhere
The War on Drugs: I Don’t Live Here Anymore
The Weather Station: Ignorance
Faye Webster: I Know I’m Funny haha
Wild Pink: A Billion Little Things

Hawkwind, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Queens of the Stone Age, Them Crooked Vultures, ELO, Elvis Costello, Blue Oyster Cult, B-52’S

The Cavedogs
Barenaked Ladies with Steven Page
They Might Be Giants
John Prine
Aberfeldy
AC/DC
The Beatles
Billy Strings
Carbon Leaf
Chicago
Colter Wall
Colin Hay
Death
The Decemberists
Guster
Ian Noe
Iron Maiden
The Jayhawks
John Hiatt
John Moreland
Led Zeppelin
Llama
Men At Work
Metallica
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Peter Gabriel
Pink Floyd
The Replacements
Richard Thompson
Robbie Robertson
Steely Dan
Shoes
Smashing Pumpkins
Smoking Popes
Steven ‘n’ Seagulls
Tears For Fears
Tyler Childers
Van Halen
The Vulgar Boatmen
The Who
Weezer
10cc
31 knots
Wings
Son Volt
Uncle Tupelo
Spanic Boys
Rush
Peter Holsapple and Chris Stamey
Nick Drake
Judas Priest
Joni Mitchell
Dire Straits
The Feelies
Boz Scaggs
Les Demerle

4 Likes

This will look pretty schizo, but here it is:

Sigur Ros (2nd behind R.E.M. - amazing)
The B-52s
Sepultura (original band)
New York Dolls (original group)
Van Halen (David Lee Roth era)
Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Blue Oyster Cult (first three albums especially)
The Cure
Fountains of Wayne
Depeche Mode
The Cars
Green Day
Now It’s Overhead
Radiohead
ZZ Top

4 Likes

I’d like to add Big Thief to my list of current favorites. I’m not sure where I first heard them but it may have been KEXP. Shortly thereafter, I came across their debut album Masterpiece in the bargain bin at Schoolkids Records in Raleigh, NC. Not too long after that they played a sold out show at Cat’s Cradle Back Room in Carrboro which I feel fortunate to have made it to. I haven’t heard all of their new album but what I have heard, I’ve loved.

3 Likes

Like most of us, R.E.M. is, and always will be, at the very top of the pile for me.

My other musical loves are, in no particular order:

Bonnie “Prince” Billy
Decemberists
Wilco
Neil Young
Sam Cooke
King Creosote
Frightened Rabbit :cry:
The Strokes
Gram Parsons
Roddy Frame/Aztec Camera
Minus 5
John Spillane

and most, though not all, of Peter Buck’s side projects.

3 Likes

Ok. Here goes:

UNKLE
Radiohead
DJ Shadow
DJ Krush
The Velvet Underground
Beastie Boys
Johnny Cash
Queens of the Stone Age
The Clash
Dead Kennedys
Gangster
Quannum
Nas
De LA Soul
House of Pain
White Stripes
Television
Band of Skulls
The Black Angels
Black Mountain
Bjork
Portishead
Massive Attack
Autolux
The Duke Spirit
Deftones
Patti Smith
Interpol
She Wants Revenge
Joy Division/New Order
Them Crooked Vultures
Noel Gallagher and His High Flying Birds(he’s still a prick though)
Foo Fighters
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Nirvana

And many more.

3 Likes

Saw them open for The National, and liked the last couple, but haven’t really gotten into them. However, listened to the new one this morning, and I suspect this is the one that gets me.

1 Like

R.E.M. is by far my #1 but other favorites:

Pink Floyd
Shudder To Think
Tori Amos
The Pet Shop Boys
Depeche Mode
Nick Cave
Tom Waits
Pixies
The Talking Heads
90’s grunge alt-rock
NIN
PJ Harvey
Other various 80’s electro-pop/dance

I’m sure I’m forgetting a lot because I’m writing this while drinking my first coffee.

2 Likes

Slowdive
Throwing Muses
Soundgarden
Nirvana
Wire
Doors
Led Zep
Radiohead
Visage
Belly
The Knife
Royksopp
Minor Victories
Dresden Dolls
Pixies
Fleetwood Mac

To name a few. Quite eclectic really

2 Likes

Laura! You know the rules! No commenting til at LEAST cup 4 or 5! :wink::rofl:

The Replacements, Son Volt, Uncle Tupelo, Drive-By Truckers, Little Feat, Sleater-Kinney, Indigo Girls, Steve Earle & the Dukes, Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, Minutemen…

2 Likes

I don’t even know if I can list them. At this point in my life my ‘favorite’ bands seems to change with my mood. But, some standards, in random order:

Duran Duran
Minutemen
Pixies
Go-Gos
Sweater-Kinney
Minor Threat
Phosphorescent
Camper Van Beethoven
The Replacements
Pylon
Spoon
…… and other stuff I’m probably forgetting

2 Likes

Duran would have been my next band to see when lockdown hit here. Haven’t seen them since the Strange Behaviour tour, so that one was especially sore. Really really looking forward to the catch up gig, whenever it’ll actually happen.

2 Likes

Just to name a few: Depeche Mode, Interpol, Editors, Franz Ferdinand, Foals, New Order, Echo and the Bunnymen, Pixies, Breeders, Hives.

2 Likes

My favorite band for the past 15 years or so has been Carbon Leaf (which I see @Catapult mentioned, cheers!). Just saw a concert last night – have seen them over 30 times now, might be getting towards 40, I lost count. As far as bands/artists that still exist, also a fan of the Alternate Routes, First Aid Kit, Stephen Kellogg, Meg Myers, Dar Williams, Radical Face, the Weepies. Just recently discovered a band called the Accidentals who seem pretty good, we’ll see if they stick around as one I like. I love Mark Knopfler and he’s still putting out stuff as of a couple years ago, so I guess he counts as current. I think James are still putting out stuff too though tbh I mostly haven’t listened to anything new from them. Same goes for U2 for that matter.

As far as old bands, any number of classic rock artists – I adore Fleetwood Mac and Rush. Tom Petty (RIP). The Cars. Dire Straits (as I mentioned I love Mark Knopfler). Paul Simon. I could go on.

Bands that aren’t “classic” but aren’t current anymore either – Great Big Sea is a big one. Vertical Horizon. Ben Folds Five.

2 Likes