Favourite bands besides R.E.M.?

Which bands do you like besides R.E.M.?
(Here is my list:
Like more than half of their discography: Depeche Mode, Queen
Like a few LPs by them: a-ha, Editors, KFT (Hungarian alternative rock band with absurd lyrics)
Like an LP by them: Nine Inch Nails, U2, Paradise Lost, New Order, Live, Creux Lies (totally unknown American post-punk band)
Like some of their songs: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, White Lies, Smiths, Green Day, Dire Straits, Guns’n Roses, Radiohead, Cure, Kraftwerk and a lot of others.)

4 Likes

I have one favourite band (R.E.M.) and eleventy billion second favourites… Beasties, Floyd, Jam, Queen, Spliff, Who… And whoever I’m obsessed with at any one time.

6 Likes

The National
Patti Smith
Talking Heads / David Byrne

Basically a geek sad dad trifecta

10 Likes

I grew up enjoying music from The Cure, New Order/Joy Division, INXS, Duran Duran, Echo and the Bunnymen, David Bowie, U2, Simple Minds, Depeche Mode, A Flock of Seagulls, The Smiths, Public Image Ltd, The Jesus and Mary Chain, X, The Church, Ride, Talking Heads, Sonic Youth, Cheap Trick, Def Leppard, Run DMC, Hüsker Dü, Pixies, Til Tuesday, Cocteau Twins, The Rolling Stones, and such. Way too many to list.

As far as more recent new millennium bands go, I like Interpol, Actors, Leathers, Nation of Language, The KVB, Boy Harsher, Run the Jewels, Kendrick Lamar, Bootblacks, Billie Eilish, and such.

5 Likes

Pixies, Pavement, The Smiths, Talking Heads and Hüsker Dü come to mind fastest and have been among the favorites for the longest time, so i guess its them.

6 Likes

Blues Traveler, Depeche Mode, The Smiths, Counting Crows, The Cure, The Cowboy Junkies, Robert Johnson, Operation Ivy, Anais Mitchell, The Knife, Joan Osborne, The Proclaimers, and Dolly Parton and a whole lot of others but these are my first go to’s after R.E.M.

2 Likes

Beatles, Dinosaur Jr, Eric’s Trip, Microphones/Mount Eerie, Sebadoh, Sloan, Sonic Youth, Who, Neil Young

1 Like

Bruce Springsteen
Bon Jovi
Bryan Adams
Neil Young
Bob Dylan
The Rolling Stones
a-ha
Madrugada
The No Ones
The Minus 5
The Baseball Project
And many more

2 Likes

I always tell people R.E.M. is my all-time favorite band and Drive-by Truckers are my favorite band that’s still going.

3 Likes

R.E.M. has been my very first favorite for the last 30 years, but I also enjoy greatly the early Pixies before their first dissolution, early Muse (their first four albums), early New Order (also before their first dissolution) and all of the Ramones, Morphine and Kraftwerk. Also the Velvet Underground, Fleetwood Mac, Belle and Sebastian, Live, and The Doors. Queen used to be a favorite too, but I grew tired of them. Oasis and Blur and a whole lot of Britpop from the 80s, 90s and 00s are also very much on my turf.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, i almost forgot how much i love later-era Blur! And Pulp might be my favorite british band ever.

1 Like

Neutral Milk Hotel, TMBG, Decemberists, Mountain Goats, Josh Ritter, other assorted dad-rock.

1 Like

Pixies
Talking Heads
Lloyd Cole & the Commotions
The Police
Fontaines DC
Flaming Lips
John Grant
Villagers
Bell X1
Lemonheads
Teenage Fanclub
Elvis Costello
Aimee Mann

2 Likes

Throwing Muses - well, basically Kristin Hersh and all of her projects. I’m not going to lie, I love her more than R.E.M

2 Likes

Radiohead, Beatles, The Smile :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Pulp and Suede and Strangelove. Oh, man, I feel like listening now…

Talking Heads, Tom Tom Club, The B-52’s, Throwing Muses / Kristin Hersh, David Bowie, Muse, John Cale, Iggy Pop, Eurythmics and Sparks to name a few.

The National
The Hold Steady
War on Drugs
Pavement
Wilco
Destroyer
Loving the latest Phoebe Bridgers and Bartees Strange

3 Likes

Josh Ritter, Warren Zevon, The Beatles, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Radiohead, Tom Waits, Coldplay come to mind…and of course, guilty pleasure Barry Manilow.

2 Likes

I have very eclectic tastes and love all kinds of music. But my favorites aside from R.E.M. are, in no particular order:
Radiohead, Talking Heads, Arcade Fire, The Cure, The Smiths, David Bowie, Prince, Sonic Youth, Love Tractor, The Connells, Interpol, Joy Division, Grateful Dead, Phish, Kraftwerk, Billie Eilish, Nirvana, Beck, Pixies, The Clash, Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, Pink Floyd, The Stone Roses, Jane’s Addiction, Jimi Hendrix, Metric, Ned’s Atomic Dustbin, Oingo Boingo, Primus, Tame Impala, Tom Waits, Television, Throwing Muses

5 Likes