Favorite Albums of 2024 (So Far)

Below is a list of my favorite albums of 2024 so far. In compiling this list I saw several I’ve missed out on and need to circle back to including Anna Tivel’s new one (Living Thing) which just came out Friday. By nature, I will become enamored of a few albums and listen to them endlessly, often making it difficult to make room for other records that are just as deserving of my attention. As mentioned, I know there’s plenty I’ve missed out on. Please feel free to chime in with suggestions for new and upcoming albums as well as your favorites from 2024 so far.

Waxahatchee - Tigers Blood

Hurray for the Riff Raff - The Past Is Still Alive

Faye Webster - Underdressed at the Symphony

Babehoven - Water’s Here In You

Sierra Ferrell - Trail of Flowers

M_pj_021324
Pearl Jam - Dark Matter

Need To Spend More Time With
Sarah Jarosz - Polaroid Lovers
Chatham County Line - Hiyo
Old 97’s - American Primitive
Black Crowes - Happiness Bastards

Looking Forward To
Bonny Light Horseman - Keep Me on Your Mind/See You Free 6/7
Sour Widows - Revival of a Friend 6/28
Jake Xerxes Fussell - When I’m Called 7/12
Drive-By Truckers - Southern Rock Opera Deluxe Edition 7/26
The Dead Tongues - Body of Light 8/9
The Dead Tongues - I Am A Cloud 8/9
Nada Surf - Moon Mirror 9/13
John Howie, Jr. & the Rosewood Bluff

5 Likes

Polaroid Lovers for me so far.

Also been really into Darlingside - Everything is Alive, but it came out towards the end of 2023 I think, and I missed until this year.

For looking forward to, supposedly both Carbon Leaf and the Alternate Routes have something coming out this year, but those have been a long time coming and I will believe it when I see it.

2 Likes

Also took a couple spins through Underdressed at the Symphony last night based on this thread. Good choice, thanks for drawing my attention to it.

1 Like

I love her. She’s playing Hopscotch in Raleigh, NC this year but the chance I’ll be able to attend is slim to none.

1 Like

Another vote for Waxahatchee. I’ve also really enjoyed the Kathryn Williams/Withered Hand album. Just getting into Hurray for the Riff Raff and Sierra Ferrell too.

As usual, my favourite things I’ve listened to so far this year are things from recent years that I’ve only just discovered, by Mattiel and Felice Brothers.

3 Likes

Just having my first listen of the new Decemberists album. Haven’t been wowed by the songs released so far, but I’m enjoying the album. Maybe it’s the Friday night beer, after a long week. Maybe it’s the post-R.E.M. reunion happy haze that I’m in. Or maybe it’s good! Either way, I like it. Wish they’d announce a UK tour.

4 Likes

I’m gonna add the new Felice Brothers album to my list. I’ve also gotten round to listening to the latest Hurray for the Riff Raff album, via some of her older stuff, and I love it. Might be no. 1 on my year list so far. The new Bonny Light Horseman is good, too.

3 Likes