Drive-By Truckers

1 Like

Mike Mills is apparently one of several folks that contributed background vocals, the others are Margo Price, and Mississippi singer-songwriter Schaefer Llana. I also recently learned that NC band Sidewinder gets a shout out in the title track. They are mostly known for being a cover band, though they did release one album of mostly new material called Fade to Black in 1985. They are also known for suing the Arizona band the Sidewinders, prompting them to become mired down in legal issues before re-merging a couple years later as the short-lived Sand Rubies.

“Sidewinder’s in spandex/the parking lot is packed…meanwhile Adam’s House Cat is the opening act/with train songs and ‘People Who Died’."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWM6EZW9F6I

Sidewinder from AZ was pretty big in Tuscaloosa back in the day. Think I had their CD, pretty good stuff IIRC. Might still be here, somewhere!

1 Like

They’ve since regrouped to play the occasional reunion show. NC’s Sidewinder also still plays a show every once in a while. BTW, it might be worth mentioning that Sidewinder once counted among their members Audley Freed and Robert Kearns. Some of the bands they’ve played in (together and apart) over the years include but are by no means limited to: the Black Crowes, Cry of Love, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Dixie Chicks (now the Chicks), and the Bottle Rockets. They are also members of Sheryl Crow’s backing band, at least the last I checked. I first heard of Arizona’s the Sidewinders thanks to 120 Minutes. This was the song.

1 Like

Wes Freed, best known for the album covers and poster art he creates for the Truckers as well as other artists is celebrating a birthday today. He’s also a musician in his own right. In 2018 WTVR out of Richmond, VA (where Wes is based), did this feature on him.

2 Likes

The Truckers with Lydia Loveless covering Tina Turner’s “What’s Love Got To Do With It” last night at the Brooklyn Bowl in Philadelphia. I can’t wait to see them tonight at Cat’s Cradle in Carrboro, NC.

Photo by Jay Alper

3 Likes

From this day in 2017.

I saw the first time he played it in Selma on 12/27/2014. So new he had to use a notebook to remember it. Great show in a historical locale. Drove over the Edmund Pettus Bridge (site of Bloody Sunday beating of civil rights protesters by Alabama state troopers) to get to the theater.

1 Like

I suggested on DBT social media, only half serious, that Lyd join the band. Doubt they will take me up on the idea. But… Is it that crazy?

I don’t know that it’s crazy but I don’t ever see it happening in any capacity. She’s very much her own thing just as DBT’s are. In that regard I’m not opposed to further collaborations but as far as her joining the band I doubt that would ever happen and quite honestly I don’t have any interest in it happening. I’m fine with her and DBT’s being separate entities.

1 Like

She’s going on another tour with DBT, mostly in the Midwest IIRC. Too bad I missed them in GA, just couldn’t get away then.

1 Like

As much as I enjoyed seeing her open for the Truckers recently (as well as covering one of their tunes and sitting in with them) I anxiously await a headlining tour with her full band. However, I’m guessing that may not happen until her next album is released.

The latest from Welcome To Club XIII which is out on Friday, June 3rd.

https://youtu.be/Kak_LYG_0dU

1 Like

Newly uploaded footage of Jason Isbell performing during the Muscle Shoals Songwriter Showcase from May 2001.

1 Like

Welcome 2 Club XIII, due for release tomorrow, is currently streaming on Soundcloud.

1 Like

I’ll post it for you here. x

1 Like

Thank you. There was also at least one other person contributing to this thread but like so many others that posted here when Murmurs first relaunched, they disappeared. As someone else recently noted, even the Admin is AWOL. All that said, this loss is devastating, not just to myself (Wes was a friend) but also to the Truckers community. There is bond between the band and the fans that is rare in the music world.

1 Like

New Patterson Hood interview from Jim Ryan of Forbes.