Did anyone manage to scan all the R.E.M. Fan Club Newsletters?

I thought I’ll do that this year, but wanted to ask first. Perhaps there’s a website where PDF versions of the newsletters are hosted?

I recall, in one of the 1998 newsletters, they had a list of where all the members were from (by country). Sri Lanka had one - that was me :smiley:

5 Likes

I have never seen those and would support your or anyone’s endeavour in that sense.

3 Likes

I still have the newsletters from the end of 1999 onwards. I recalled a census in one of them. Found it in the year 2000. I see you!

3 Likes

Ah! Thanks @Lori. It was 2000. I joined in 1998, and for some reason thought it was published in the same year.

1 Like

I’m not sure if he’s a member here but at one time Chris Hartstonge of the R.E.M. Timeline mentioned that he had plans to scan/photograph all of the contents of the fan club mailings from the beginning to the end. I’m not sure how far along he is with that or what has become of that project. On a related note, Gary Nabors, author of Remnants: The R. E. M. Collector’s Handbook and Price Guide, recently launched a FB group devoted to the fan club called The Original R.E.M. Fan Club 1984-2011. I have most every mailing from 1988 onward but have no means to scan anything at present.

2 Likes

I would love to know too. :heart::rooster:

I asked about this in the R.E.M. fan club group on FB. Chris is indeed at work on cataloging/scanning/photographing all mail outs from the fan club from the beginning until the end for the R.E.M. Timeline. This is a huge undertaking so props to him for making the effort.

2 Likes

Oh that’s wonderful. Thanks for the update @DriverNate

1 Like

I’ve scanned a lot of the newsletters and posted them in my Facebook group

1 Like

Any chance you could share a Dropbox (or other) link?

1 Like

Any chance of you sharing them to the new R.E.M fan club group on FB? This is the link:

1 Like

Maybe I will, I already shared them in my group.

(4) R.E.M. - Talk About The Passion | Facebook

I wish more people would share things :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I have at least one storage tub full of old music magazines. Pretty everything R.E.M. related in there is available online in one form or another. I do appreciate the effort you have put into sharing all that you have though. Lots of stuff I’ve never seen. It doesn’t go unnoticed.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I often feel it’s a bit of an unrewarding thing to do, but in the end I do it for myself, so I can have things in a digital form.

Only a few days ago I found so many magazines on ebay with R.E.M. content that I still haven’t got. But they all are either in the UK or the US and with postage to Germany it’s just too expensive. :frowning:

1 Like