Darker Waves music festival on Huntington Beach, California on November 18

Photo dump from my California vacation three weeks ago… “R.E.M. Adjacent” since The B-52’s were on the bill.

After flying in from Atlanta to John Wayne Airport on Thursday and settling into my Fountain Valley hotel, I spent Friday afternoon and evening on Huntington Beach sightseeing and attending a festival pre-party where David J (Bauhaus, Love and Rockets, etc.) was the DJ.

On Saturday, I arrived at the Darker Waves festival on Huntington Beach before the gates opened and enjoyed a day in the sun and sand with multiple bands and friends.

I did not fly from Georgia to California to spend all of my time looking at an iPhone screen, so I only took a few photos during the daylight hours. I had more fun at Darker Waves than at any other music festival that I have attended. I managed to see Glass Spells, Mareux, Twin Tribes, Drab Majesty, The Chameleons, Clan of Xymox, X, OMD, Violent Femmes, Devo, The Cardigans, Soft Cell, She Wants Revenge, Crosses, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Human League, The B-52’s, New Order, and Tears for Fears.
There was no phone service due to the huge crowds, so my friends and I just randomly had to stumble across one another.

I did not sit down even once from 8:00 a.m. to 10:45 p.m., and I ate all of my daily calories for breakfast so that I would not have to overspend on festival food. I am hardcore when it comes to music festivals. The next morning, I felt as though I ran an ultramarathon.

On Sunday, I visited The Reptile Zoo near my hotel in the morning before meeting friends in the evening at the House of Blues in Anaheim to see Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (OMD) and Glass Spells.

3 Likes

Oh… and the below picture is my entry in the “Tell people that I am 51 years old without telling them that I am 51 years old.” contest.

4 Likes

Great pics!

2 Likes

I see the car pic got in twice :joy:. And OMD. You missed out Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark! Enola Gay, Electricity, Tesla Girls, Joan of Arc etc. Top 80s electronica.

1 Like

Lol. I reposted the car pic in a second post to comment on my age.

I saw OMD twice that weekend, once at the festival and then the following evening in Anaheim. Such a great live band.

1 Like

Lucky you Jason! I’ve never seen them live but I do have the 45 of Enola Gay which I bought while at Uni.

1 Like