Currently Listening

Sounds like a good day.

I think thatā€™s a total myth! I discover dozens of new artists all the time. It takes a bit more work in the streaming age, but itā€™s not that hard!

2 Likes

Itā€™s really not. Rage against the dying of the light.

2 Likes

Waiting for this as well. Iā€™ve liked all their singles and the Tiny Desk spot was great.

Also Iā€™ve been banging on about this lot for ages. Maybe the album is a bit of a let down but they are really good live.

2 Likes

Haha, yes, I was just having fun with some study I saw years ago that made 33 the Mendoza line for music discovery.

While it is easier in the streaming age to find new music and artists, Iā€™ll argue its harder for them to stay with you. Investing in a physical album usually meant many repeat listens and since it is actually there, something to constantly see. I listen to lots of things now that I instantly forget.

1 Like

This Psychology Today article says lots of people tend to lose interest in new music after the age of 30. Iā€™m 59 and have never lost interest in new music. It is even easier to find than ever before these days. At least thatā€™s been my experience.

7 Likes

I think itā€™s true, or itā€™s kind of an uphill struggle, but then I was on a beta blocker the first half of my thirties that had a cloud over me that made me want nothing to do with music or playing music at all. I go out of my way now to find new stuff or stuff Iā€™ve skipped over in the past. Most new stuff I hear about word or mouth or see in a concert listing and am interested enough in checking out from the description.

80ā€™s rap internet radio after reading the first volume of the graphic novel Hip-Hop Family Tree by Ed Piskor.

Jason Boland and The Stragglers- The Light Saw Me (I heard about this on the Desert Oracle podcast, which is worth listening to if you do podcasts)

Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Barn (not a lot new here but it has some pretty songs, which is different for Crazy Horse)

TEKE::TEKE- Shirushi (found this in a concert listing, your basic rock band setup with some traditional Japanese instruments playing surf and fuzzy psychedelica. Itā€™s kind of what the world needs right now. Or an aide to help make sense of it.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s another article about it. Theyā€™re most likely citing the same sources.

3 Likes

At 49 I still seek out new music and enjoy it, but it doesnā€™t stick the same way as the things I first heard before 30. The first act that ever absolutely blew my mind (Floyd donā€™t count cos I was a literal baby, though I suspect they would have had I been old enough to consciously listen) was R.E.M. when I was 13, last was Josh Ritter when I was 29. Lifeā€™s been a fun musical ride since, but nothing of the newer stuff has become part of who I am. And no, that doesnā€™t mean itā€™s in any way worse than the music of my younger days, just that my brain wiring has settled.

7 Likes

Because of my learning disability, they told me Iā€™m mentally behind 15-20 years. So technically, this hasnā€™t applied to me yet.

Imagine thisā€¦

My kindergarten or 1st grade teacher told my mom,ā€œheā€™ll never graduate high school.ā€

Suck on my big, fat BFAā€¦you f#@$ing dead @$$ hag!

4 Likes

I may reach that level at some point but so far it hasnā€™t happened.

1 Like

My favorite song from 2021. Courtesy of Leathers, a side project of Shannon Hemmett, keyboardist of Actors.

1 Like

I bought the singles on bandcamp.
I love their version of ā€œ100 Yearsā€ by The Cure, well I own it, so I better like it.

1 Like

The debut Actors album, It Will Come to You, was my favorite album of the 2010s decade. Their new album, Acts of Worship, was my favorite album of 2021.

(David Bowieā€™s Blackstar is a better album in the 2010s, in all honesty, but the Actors album does not bum me out as much.)

Kendrick Lamar also owned the 2010s, come to think of it.

1 Like

I have ā€œReanimatedā€ on vinyl. ā€œXYXā€ is my favorite on the album. That buzzsaw intro roxxx!

1 Like

I donā€™t think that we have a typical group of listeners here.

3 Likes

Agreed. Most of my friends are also music geeks so it can be easy to lose sight of how lots of other folks donā€™t feel the same way about music. As a former DJ, I belong to a FB group for DJā€™s which is devoted to the pre CD era. When I first joined close to 10 years ago I was expecting to encounter lots of fellow music geeks. Instead, what I mostly encountered were lots of closed minded people. Also, some have a low tolerance for anything that isnā€™t Top 40 radio. Same for non commercial radio stations. I stay for the history and the war stories but the rest can sometimes be off putting.

3 Likes

That Reanimated collection is so much fun. ā€œHow Deep is the Holeā€ was one of the highlights when I saw Actors in concert here in Atlanta in 2019.

1 Like

All right, Iā€™m going to check out this Actors band.

2 Likes