Chronic Town 40th Anniversary Celebration Concert (Various Artists)

I’m sticking with something Mills said in an interview a few years ago, which was “Never say never” but I agree, it’s something none of them seem to have any interest in. If and when it were to happen it would certainly receive a lot of attention from the press but I could only imagine it would be a one-off, not a return to recording and performing on a regular basis. Several years ago, Buck also said he was done doing interviews but he will still do one occasion. In yet another, he made it clear that he doesn’t miss the business side of the music business at all meaning press junkets, touring (of the variety R.E.M. did), making videos, etc.

1 Like

I don’t think REM would instantly go back to fame, even if they wanted to. In the US, that status left them with the 1990s.

Anything could happen, but assurances don’t mean too much. I still remember when they half-jokingly said they’d call it quits on New Year’s Eve of 1999.

Well, that isn’t true. The decline in record sales was relative, they still sold bucket loads. They retired as rock royalty. Kind of irrelevant rock royalty, but they absolutely, catagorically didn’t disappear into obscurity.

R.E.M. never regained the sort of airplay and record sales they enjoyed in the U.S. in the 90’s. I’m sure a lot of that had to do with the loss of Bill but it also had a lot to do with how the industry itself was changing. That said, their concerts continued to be well attended, at least the ones I went to. My main point was, just because they might do a one-off show (if that), it might put them back in the spotlight for a fleeting moment but I wouldn’t take it as a return to being a full time band that records and tours. That ship sailed long ago and isn’t coming back. I can also guarantee beyond a shadow of a doubt that, if for some reason that was to happen, the very ones that called for it the most but would be the same ones to tear them down because it didn’t live up to their lofty expectations of R.E.M. returning to past glories. They made the right decision by disbanding in the manner that they did and perhaps even remaining that way for the remainder of their lives. When Johnny Carson retired from The Tonight Show, the world never heard from again until he passed. R.E.M. haven’t done exactly that but when he retired, he meant it and deserved it. It may well be the case that they do too.

Johnny Carson famously appeared on Letterman two years after he retired.

I forgot about that but I believe you get my drift. He never actively sought the spotlight after he retired. My point being, I won’t be a bit surprised if R.E.M. never shares a stage or recording studio again for the rest of their lives. 11 years after disbanding, they’ve stayed true to their word. Obviously, that could change but so far, it hasn’t. When it comes to retiring as R.E.M., so far, they’ve proved to be the exception rather than the rule. Lots of others haven fallen prey to the allure of a big money reunion tour and/or album even if they’re no longer on speaking terms. It’s about the financial reward, not the music.

I went to both shows.
They were incredible. I’ll always prefer a club show at the 40 Watt over any big venue, unless it’s the Fox.
I took a selfie with my brother, put my phone in my pocket, and danced my tail-feathers off both nights. Loved every minute of it.

9 Likes

Was just a wonderful two nights of music. The Athens and Atlanta shows were very similar, but there were enough differences that they were also unique. The coolest unique thing in Athens was Indigo Girls on Orange Crush. Emily with the megaphone was badass. The coolest unique thing in Atlanta was David Ryan Harris on Everybody Hurts. It was good in Athens, but he took it to a very different place in Atlanta. And, dang Baseball Project with Linda Pitmon really does rock. Scott was out of control, in a very awesome way. I feel lucky to have been there both nights.

6 Likes

Watching it on youtube. . :two_hearts:
https://youtu.be/jDnQf_FakHI

https://youtu.be/1-lxwxENvOw

3 Likes

Had a binge on some of these today. Scott McCaughey was brilliant on Circus Envy. Never been a big Hootie fan, but Darius Rucker really brought it. Fred Armison does a mean early Stipe! And Chris Robinson’s The One I Love was great. Pale Blue Eyes possibly even better.

Lots more to watch…

4 Likes

I watched David Ryan Harris doing Everybody Hurts today. Wow. Blown away.

I really enjoyed John Cameron Mitchell’s performances too.

1 Like

New to the site! Thought to share my video from the Chronic Town Athens show. Amazing night!

https://youtu.be/nPyZM8ZfK78

5 Likes