Chronic Town 40th Anniversary Celebration Concert (Various Artists)

What is going on here, remember when you’d cough up 4 bucks and go. (Sometimes GREAT double and even triple bills too.) Now you pay hundreds for a ticket (1) handling fee because someone touched it, double digit; the blew your nose in the parking lot, high double digit fee; parking- triple digit; Because we can fee, double digit; computer program fee; DISCLAIMER due to the nature of computers, you agree that none of this is guaranteed however we can sell you insurance (extortion) and we might cover our own screw up…
I wanna be 15 again…oh and now you need a code WUT?? DONT GET ME STARTED ON THIS CODE CRAP

The code is for pre-sales only if I’m not mistaken.

As I’ve probably already mentioned elsewhere, I’m pretty much done with shows at larger venues at this point. It’s not that I feel the artists that perform there are beneath me or anything like that. It’s the exorbitant costs and the hassles that go along with it and the masses of humanity I can do without. I don’t rule out attending a show of that size again but it would have to be an artist I really want to see. Otherwise, I’m perfectly content to attend shows at clubs and theatre-sized venues. That has been more my speed for the past 20 years or so anyway.

2 Likes

Fyi, the 40 Watt show is on public sale now.

1 Like

It’s a shame that Michael never gets involved anymore. I don’t want a reunion, but I do still wish he’d get involved in more music stuff, since I honestly don’t believe he will ever release that solo album.

1 Like

In all honesty I haven’t been overly impressed with any of the solo material he’s released so far.

Brief updates and follow ups:
Gaelynn Lea plays on the upcoming Stipe solo record. Details: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc8her1sl3V/?igshid=MDM4ZDc5MmU=

Who’s heading to the shows?

4 Likes

Excited about that collab. Only familiar with her through this pretty stunning Tiny Desk Concert:

2 Likes

I’ll be there! Headed to town tomorrow from NYC. First time back in over 20 years!

1 Like

Going to both shows. Excited.

1 Like

I’ll be at the Thursday show in Atlanta.

2 Likes

All four original members were in attendance as well as Scott McCaughey but Stipe and Bill Berry didn’t perform. I don’t know about last night in Atlanta. I’m just now catching up on reports from last night.

1 Like

The Atlanta show was a blast. It was impossible to get decent iPhone photos from where I was (section 102, row V) because of the light glare on the stage, but here are some shots.

When Fred Armisen took stage, all I could think about was his character from EuroTrip. “Mi scuzi”

Pylon Reenactment Society was the highlight of the gig for me, although I loved all of the supergroup band setups as well (The Baseball Project, etc.).

From an overall gist standpoint, I really enjoyed the “R.E.M. lovefest” aura of the proceedings, with everyone on stage and in the audience showing rabid appreciation for the band’s legacy over the decades. Although I prefer the earliest R.E.M. albums, I am glad that a few covers from their Warners years were included in the fold.

Pylon was the only artist who had merch available in the lobby. I bought Gyrate and Chomp on vinyl, although I already own a signed copy of the Pylon Box from two years ago and although I own an original pressing of Gyrate. I listen to Pylon so often that I wanted “abusable” vinyl records to play frequently on my turntable while keeping my box set and original pressing fairly pristine.

7 Likes

Great pictures, @inspectorjason! Thank you!

I wonder if the four guys don’t feel an itch to just go up there and perform maybe a song or two, after all this time, as it wouldn’t hurt anyone, and they don’t go and actually do it just out of stubbornness.

2 Likes

Reality is the vast majority of the world wouldn’t know or care if they did an unannounced reunion. As great a band REM was, we’re not talking about the Beatles reuniting (which would have been heard around the world).

1 Like

Of course. But WE would know.

And what you said is only more reason for them to play a song or two, because it means so little to them and to most people. It’s not a big deal at all, but they kinda make it so.

1 Like

If the Beatles did reunite, it would be the most earth shaking news since the Tunguska blast of 1908.

3 Likes

I think they avoid it to not get people’s hopes up and having to answer a million questions about them getting back together.

5 Likes

Thanks for the review. It sounds amazing. I watched a video of Fred Armison doing Gardening at Night. Like I needed another reason to love Fred Armison, he does a mean early Stipe!

3 Likes

I have no inside scoop or anything but as recently as a few weeks ago Buck said in an interview that a reunion is off the table. Stipe and Mills have also been adamant about it. Never say never but perhaps they just want to be the first band to remain true to their word. I can’t really hold it against the surviving members of Led Zeppelin because they’ve only done it for special occasions. There’s been no new music or full on tours. So many say they’re retiring only to reunite for the paycheck. R.E.M. always did things their own way, including how they disbanded. Who knows what the future holds but 11 years on, they’ve yet to reunite despite all four original members being in the same room at the same time.

2 Likes

I read that interview. He really doesn’t want to go back to that level of fame does he? If they did reform, they all would instantly. He was conspicuous by his absence during all the anniversary editions promotion as well. He’s absolutely done, it won’t happen.