Any runners out there?

I do about 33 miles a week, and R.E.M. is often on the headphones! Any other runners out there? I’m constantly in search of great playlists (preferable Apple Music). Might be cool to build the ultimate R.E.M. running playlist. As long as 1st song is Finest Worksong. My go-to startup tune.

4 Likes

I don’t run distance as much as I used to, but when Collapse Into Now came out I was training for a marathon, and I’d do Murmur on the way out on a run, Collapse Into Now on the way back.

I did it so often that different landmarks would be different songs.

1 Like

I listen to podcasts when I run and many times it has been the R U Talking REM Re: Me podcast. Being a newer big-time fan of the band a couple of years ago, the podcast helped me to get to know all of their music as well as some information about the band smattered here and there. I’ve also started re-listening to the episodes and hearing stuff I missed before.

2 Likes

I´ve ran quite a lot but right now the weather doesn´t really support it at all round these parts, we had really heavy snow throughout the last few months and now its all melting and then freezing again, so its quite a task to stand upright. As for running with R.E.M., i think i liked LRP the most for that. Haven`t done a marathon though yet, half marathons a few times but they happened many years ago.

1 Like

I used to run, a lot. Did 3 marathons back in the early/mid aughts but then kinda stopped and life has got in the way. I’d love to get back into it but I need to get a lingering foot issue checked-out first. My music device of choice was the iPod Mini (remember those?) and I cannot recall my music choices. I was heavily downloading songs from MP3 blogs (remember those?) and had quite an eclectic mix.

My brother-in-law did a 100-mile run a couple of years ago and I joined him for a stretch of around 16 miles.

3 Likes

I love running to Living Well is the Best Revenge.

I have a springtime 10k coming up. Maybe I’ll train exclusively with the R.E.M. catalogue. A different album for each run will keep me motivated. :thinking:

2 Likes

Collapse Into Now is a great running record. Tho I tend to speed up & get very lost (in a beautiful way) during “It Happened Today”!

1 Like

Let me know if you make a playlist!

1 Like

I’ve run 30 mpw for years. I run outdoors, so no tunes for me. Slow slogger miles bc I enjoy it. No training or structure, by choice.

I recorded an entire season of podcasts with musicians who run, but never released them bc I was in a pandemic funk. Maybe it’s time to unearth them…

3 Likes

My favourite R.E.M. song for running is I’m gonna DJ.

2 Likes

I’ve gotten out of running regularly, but hoping to get back into it this year. Back when I used to be more into it, I don’t remember going with R.E.M. particularly, though I probably did sometimes.

2 Likes

Got my first (hilly, off-road) 10 miler of the year coming up in a couple of weeks. Heading for the London Mara in October - it was supposed to be April 2020, but Covid put paid to that, and then October 2021, but I broke 3 toes in August :sob:

2 Likes

That ending could just go on for 30 minutes and be just fine.

1 Like

I ran almost 60 marathons and ultramarathons between 2009 and 2019, including two 100-mile ultramarathons, but I hit a burnout wall during the pandemic after a stomach parasite infection.

These days, I run/walk about 25 miles a week, with my mileage finally increasing again. I do not wear headphones or listen to anything during my runs, though. Running is the one time of the day when I am totally unplugged, with my thoughts running the show.

There’s more of a backstory that I should add…
At the beginning of 2005, I was morbidly obese and weighed roughly 400 pounds. I lost 185 pounds that year, by way of intense workouts and diet. Since then, my weight has fluctuated erratically within a 100-pound range. I have never come close to gaining back up to 400 on the scales, thankfully, but I have lapsed back to the upper 200s several times. My running mojo can vary quite a bit from year to year, as such, although I always stay active now.

7 Likes

That’s quite a backstory! Well done for making the commitment. It’s not easy to keep at it. Go you!

I also love that you make running your unplugged time.

1 Like

So…what you’re saying is…

You can benchpress…me.