Any news on a third Filthy Friends album?

Does anyone know what Filthy Friends are up to? As I think I mentioned once on the Facebook group, the best half of Emerald Valley comes as close to the sixteenth R.E.M. album as we’re ever likely to get - “Only Lovers Are Broken” and “Break Me” are fantastic tracks, in my opinion, and it’s been a minute since Emerald Valley came out. I’m sure the pandemic has affected Filthy Friends and Peter’s other projects just like it’s affected everything else in the world, but does anyone know if there’s a third Filthy Friends album in the works? Besides the pandemic, I would guess that Corin’s commitment to Sleater-Kinney also limits the window for Filthy Friends to record and tour.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t be great? And another Dublin gig to do with it, please. Corin was literally the last singer I saw live before this whole shitshow started (with Sleater-Kinney) and I wouldn’t mind seeing her again sometime soon.

2 Likes

I love both albums. I got to see them live twice in 2019. Both shows were incredible. I do hope there will be another album.

2 Likes

Denise,
You are like the Jedi Master at seeing the individual members post-R.E.M.

Of course, I live in the Midwest. It’s tough to see bands here.

Same here - Sleater-Kinney at Brixton Academy on 26 February 2020 was the last gig I went to. The only live music I’ve seen since is a covers band who were playing the evening part of a work conference last autumn. Need to get back in the habit now!

1 Like

I’m sure I read something a while back where Scott McCaughey said he’s literally got several hundred Filthy Friends singles in his house. They’d been pressed and the plan was to sell them on tour but then covid hit. So they remain in his house.

Can’t find this anywhere though. It’s entirely possible I dreamt it!

I’m hopeful we’ll see something this year. Love the first two albums.

1 Like

01-Mar at Vicar Street here, literally ten days before the lockdown hit. I had a summer of concerts planned and tickets bought for and well… We all know how that played out. Particularly experiencing Weller withdrawal at this stage. Haven’t seen him since the summer of 2019 in the Trinity court yard (pure magic, that night) and his 2020 gig has been cancelled and rescheduled three or four times at this stage. I think it might finally happen at the Olympia come October or November, so that would be very much back to normal for him. Would sure be great.

1 Like

I didn’t dream it! But I didn’t read it either. I heard it on this podcast, from about a year ago:

3 Likes

I asked Scott about this last night. He said they did eventually play a couple of shows where they sold most of the singles, but he still has some in his house! No plans currently for any more Filthy Friends as Corin Tucker is busy with Sleater Kinney, but they’d like to do something else.

1 Like