Any new REM news?

Michael has performed with one of the two a few times in NYC. And Michael’s done Losing My Religion (with Chris Martin) post breakup.

I view it as: they are happy, successful, still best friends. Can’t ask for more than that.

4 Likes

I wasn’t counting Coldplay :joy:

1 Like

Speaking of which, is Adam back here now? :wave:

1 Like

Of course, The Onion had to throw in their 2 cents.

4 Likes

It is funny, just wish they didn’t use the kids’ real names.

1 Like

Oh, I have this. I haven’t read it yet. A friend in Mississippi was pretty heavily involved in the Athens scene back then and is mentioned in the book (which is one reason I bought it).

1 Like

Yeah, they were minors at the time, but that these people exist, and their real names, are not that hard to confirm.

1 Like

@ethank… knowing that Michael and Thomas are both photographers…have they ever collaborated? Or is it one of those things where they do their own thing, but support the other?

Michael has modeled for Thomas, and Thomas has done some work for Michael’s solo stuff, and photographed Michael for Vogue and other places. They do give themselves a lot of space to be their own artists though, which I admire. Thomas’ work is very different from Michael’s.

David Belilse helps out both of them with running the studio side, and is a talented artist in his own right of course.

2 Likes

I listened to that World Cafe interview with Michael. He mentioned the possibility of doing R.E.M. songs on his own. I think that would be very interesting.

4 Likes

I heard his son is pretty good at guitar, but dont know for sure. Coulda been a rumor.

I’ll be there tomorrow. It is nice. I heard about the Mathew Sweet thing. Writing books are tough, what to leave in, what to leave out.

He’s in a band calle A.D. Blanco.

Mike’s Hollywood Hills house is for sale, and really, $6.5 million for a house like this in L.A. is not a bad price at all.

1 Like

I wonder why he’s selling? Upgrading? Or unable to afford it anymore? No longer using? I can’t imagine they’re making as much money now as they did when they still had a record deal.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but from the flow of the thread it sounds like Michael has a son, which is news to me. Do you mean Mike? Or David Belise? Is that quote, purportedly from Peter an actual quote, that they just don’t get along, bearing in mind The Onion is satirical and makes a lot of stuff up? I would hate to learn that the thought of working together again is a result of dislike/friction. I’m just confused…

ETA- that is some fucking house. Perhaps his social circle is smaller now than it once was and the novelty of the bells and whistles has worn off. REM still own their catalogue, right? I doubt Mike is short of cash but who knows.

No problem Etty. It was Bills son we were referring to. It was a bit ago in the thread. Sorry for the confusion.