Any home recording enthusiasts?

I’ve spent a lot of time recently recording a bunch of R.E.M. covers (a side effect of my Twitter project, https://twitter.com/imitationofrem), and frankly I need help :slight_smile: Or rather, if anyone else out there enjoys twiddling knobs, I’d happily get feedback and advice on how I can move from “rank amateur” to “competent” when it comes to mixing and mastering (and singing, and playing, and performing, and…). Performances vary from “hmmm” to “passable”.

Current project: Achoustic Town! Aim is to capture lead vocal/guitar as a live performance and layer on acoustic bass/BVs.

More to come!

5 Likes

I dig the Wolves Lower cover. FWIW I like the way it sounds.

1 Like

I’ve done a little home recording as part of our virtual band jams, but mostly just doing the vocal tracking in Logic then handing it to someone way better than me to do the rest. The company I work for just bought PreSonus, so we now have a lot of home recording gear in our arsenal, and I’m trying to learn how to use it.

2 Likes

Really enjoyed that, ty for sharing. Just realised I recognise your covers acc from twitter :ok_hand::+1:

2 Likes

Craig! Hi! ::

1 Like

Hello!!! A couple of (relatively) familiar usernames on here, from twitter, for me. Given I wasn’t on Murmurs, first time around. I just know a few, of the R.E.M. Twitter Community :sunglasses:

1 Like

New one!

Any rumours that I might be about to acoustically cover the entire back catalogue in chronological order are extremely premature…

2 Likes

I just kind of skimmed PreSonus.

Is it kind of a mix of Pro Tools and Ableton Live? At least, that’s what I thought it was.
:man_shrugging:

Its more Pro Tools / Logic than Ableton, at least where Studio One is concerned.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ll explore some of it later tonight.

For what it’s worth, Achoustic Town is complete! Playlist at the top of the thread. Any and all feedback accepted!

1 Like

I’ve written and recorded well over 400 songs in the past 22 years, but nobody cares about my music! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

RevBingo, Nice post, very nice renditions. At least now I can understand what the lyrics are (:grinning:) I fealt the same way after hearing Nirvana Unplugged.

2 Likes

Thanks! The thing that struck me about the lyrics on Chronic Town are how few of them there are! With the exception of Gardening At Night the songs are largely one verse/chorus repeated. Makes them easy to remember :wink:

Gradually working my way through Murmur… now with video so you can see my beautiful face

3 Likes

Very good! :clap:

1 Like