Adrianne Lenker (Big Thief) on Talking at Shows

It wasn’t until the late 90’s that I became aware of house concerts. They were my first experience where everyone was there solely to focus on the music and to remain respectful to the performer(s) throughout the concert. That didn’t mean everyone was supposed to act like they were in church. However, that isn’t the setting Adrianne is talking about here, she’s referring to concerts in general and specifically, showing respect to the opening act. I would extend that request to maintain that same level of respect to while the headliners are performing as well. However, it’s been my experience that there’s always going to be those assholes that will pay whatever price for a ticket and then proceed to behave as though no one is onstage and make others wonder why they’re even there to start with. Props to Adrianne for speaking up about it though.

1 Like

I understand her sentiments and that we want to respect the artists and what they are doing. However, the truth is that most people are there for the headliner and are not necessarily going to pay much attention to the opener. I also think that most openers know this.