What are you watching?

I just binged watched “Inventing Anna” on Netflix. It’s both tedious and interesting. Anyone else?

Wikipedia page

And by the way, a show that I’ve mentioned before, “1883”. In this case episode eight. For me it just gets better and better. 1883 can be found on Paramount Network but you can also watch on Amazon Prime.

IMDB

New York Times

You certainly don’t have to look at the resources provided. But I thought I’d save you the time if you were looking for more information.

It seems like it suffers from the same thing so many streaming shows suffer from, which is inexcusably long running times which aren’t necessary or earned.

1 Like

Man that’s roughness, I can relate to. I live in Missouri. Josh Hawley, can take a leap. Anyway, the library may be your savior, believe it or not. Ours, at least, has movies about a year after release. Sometimes more recent. You can get new hits about when they’re released for the public. You just have a limit of three days to keep them out. Hopefully, I’m not leaving you astray. That’s how it is here. We found this out, when we had nothing but antenna TV. We now stream quite a lot, because here, it’s half the price of satellite or cable.

1 Like

Have you checked to see if your local public library has Kanopy? It’s a common resource for public libraries and they offer numerous streaming films, shows, educational, programming, and documentaries. Our loca public library allows each user ten views a month (I think).

1 Like

I`m watching Expanse right now. Binge-watching, actually. Love it!
Before it “The Man in the High Castle” was on the menu. I quite liked this too, although the last season maybe not that much.

1 Like

We’vew been watching Succession and are just into Season 3. Its a rare show that both my wife and I are into equally.

In the era of prestige TV, sometimes its nice to watch a good-old-fashioned procedural and FBI is ours of choice.

We recently warches The Power of the Dog. Slow-paced period-pieces are not my thing and we were both not that impressed with it.

Having two young kids, plus living abroad, plus the pandemic means I’ve been to the movies once in the past 2.5+ years and that was to see Clifford.

I have tried The Expanse a couple times. I get to season and just stop. I should talk myself into pushing through because every review says it’s great.

In the past couple of months I loved the movies - Captain Phillips, A Bronx Tale, The Green Mile.

The Book of Boba Fett
vikings valhalla

Was catching up on Marvel Netflix and Disney + shows we never finished. Loved Jessica Jones and hope to see more of her. Defenders was fun. Loved Hawkeye. Enjoying Agent Carter.

Otherwise stoked about new season of Upload.

1 Like

Currently…
A Certain Magical Index

If you’ve seen my Tele, Index is the anime character on my pick guard.

I’ve just watched the season 4 finale of “Better Things”. The show itself is a kind of poetic observational dramedy with touches of feminism, and sometimes it’s just so beautifully executed that I don’t need to find it particularly funny or dramatically intense, but I catch myself pondering, wondering, questioning things.

It’s not serialized or the kind of easily spoiled show, so I can tell you this: at the very end of the season, Sam’s mom, who’s been going through the beginning stages of dementia, heads to the pool at night, under a nice lighting and moving gently, and Sam herself and her best friend think, “Well, why not?”, and decide to join her. What follows is one of the most beautiful uses of an R.E.M. song I’ve ever seen on TV: “Nightswimming”, of course, until the credits roll.

This was a really touching, kind of all-over-the-place episode.

1 Like

I recently watched The Fly (1986)
“…Say I’m an insect who dreamt he was a man, and loved it, but now the dream is over…”
How tragic is this movie.

1 Like

Coal Miner’s Daughter Honky-Tonk Bar scene

Not sure if they’re shown on PBS outside of NC but in my last two years of having television after roughly 10 years without I’ve found myself captivated by Vivian Howard’s A Chef’s Life and Somewhere South. Both shows have completed their runs but are in reruns. I’m not a foodie or an especially accomplished cook but I do love both programs. She also uses music from local artists I’m a fan of such as Shark Quest and Tift Merritt.

1 Like

I’ve seen that on my PBS station! I like her.

1 Like

Me too. She is from not far from where I grew up. I hope to check out one of her restaurants at some point.

1 Like

Speaking of PBS: I :heart: Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates, Jr.

3 Likes

Two movies I recently watched - War of the Worlds (2005), I often go back & watch movies I’ve really enjoyed again, & the Queen movie Bohemian Rhapsody (2018), which I’ve never seen before. It kept my attention. I like Queen but I didn’t know much about how the band worked.

1 Like

Recently - The Unbroken (2014) & Changeling (2008). I also previously enjoyed Angelina Jolie in Girl Interrupted & Maleficent.

1 Like