R.E.M. On This Day II

Oh! I’m a bit early. Wish you a happy Sunday. x

1 Like

25 August
From the R.E.M. Timeline -
1981 The Scorpio, Charlotte, NC
Notes: This show was billed as “Charlotte’s First Gay New Wave Disco and Costume Party”, The Scorpio apparently being a lesbian bar. Tickets were $3 benefitting a variety of gay/lesbian charities.
rem 25 August

1 Like

Thank you.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwX_1InA_Ac/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

15 years ago today, R.E.M. in Cardiff in what would be their last tour. They were never better than on that tour, for me.

I went to Manchester, Cardiff and Southampton. Manchester was probably the best performance. Cardiff was my favourite set. (Harborcoat!) And at Southampton, after two and a half nights of trying, I finally managed to grab Michael Stipe’s hand during Losing My Religion.

They sure went out on a high. (I mean, after shaking hands with me, where else is there to go…?!)

1 Like

Found it! :birthday:

R.E.M. Timeline · R.E.M.- Michael Stipe Intro - Camera - Alltel Pavilion At Walnut Creek, Raleigh, NC, 27 August 1999
1 Like

Thank you. It was quite the moment. One of my favorites over the years of seeing them in concert.

1 Like

30 August
“Perfect Circle” (2008) - Twickenham Stadium, London, England)

2 Likes

31 August -
1999 - Chastain Park Amphitheatre, Chastain Memorial Park, Atlanta, GA

“Daysleeper” One of my favourite R.E.M. songs

R.E.M. Timeline · #73 - R.E.M. - Daysleeper - 31 August 1999, Chastain Park Amphitheatre, Atlanta, GA
2 Likes

6 September
1999, PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel, New Jersey
From the R.E.M. Timeline -

Support: Ben Trovato, Spacehog
Set: Lotus / Crush With Eyeliner / The Wake-Up Bomb / Fall On Me / Suspicion / How The West Was Won And Where It Got Us / Stand / Daysleeper / The Apologist / Live For Today [Michael, spoken word] / Sweetness Follows / The Great Beyond / The One I Love / Find The River / At My Most Beautiful / Star 69 / Losing My Religion / Man On The Moon / Walk Unafraid
Encore: Leave (Michael a capella) - Black Boys On Mopeds - Hope (Stipe solo) / Why Not Smile (Mills & Stipe) / What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? / Tongue / Wolves, Lower / Ghost Rider / It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
Notes: ‘Live For Today’ is Michael reciting most of the lyrics as spoken word. Reviews

(Bootleg recording of this show from the Internet Archive) -
“A Labor Day show in New Jersey… . The setlist is filled with tour rarities - ‘How the West Was Won…’, ‘Stand’, even ‘Wolves, Lower’ - and there are two awesome teases from Michael throughout the show; a spoken word rendition of fan club single ‘Live for Today’ and the first ever live version of ‘Leave’ by audience request. High spirits all throughout, this show’s a gem.”

1 Like

Speaking of that 1999 REM tour, I wonder why I didn’t go? Looking at the setlist for the one I would have gone to, it’s not that exciting, so I didn’t miss Wolves Lower or anything, but still would have been a good show. I guess I had only been to a couple concerts in my life at that point, so it wasn’t quite a normal thing I just did yet.

8 September
1994 - MTV Video Music Awards, Radio City Music Hall, New York, NY
R.E.M. win 4 awards: Breakthrough Video, Best Direction In A Video, Best Editing In A Video & Best Cinematography In A Video, for ‘Everybody Hurts’. All 4 members of the band were present to accept the awards. (R.E.M. Timline)

14th September
From the R.E.M Timeline -
2004 - Make Trade Fair Live, Carling Apollo Hammersmith, London, England

Support: Razorlight, Jamelia, Minnie Driver, The Thrills, Ricky Gervais
The Thrills set included: What Ever Happened To Corey Haim? / The Curse Of Comfort
R.E.M.: Losing My Religion / Boy In The Well / Walk Unafraid / Leaving New York / Man On The Moon
Encore: I Wanted To Be Wrong / Bad Day
Notes: Benefit concert in aid of Oxfam’s Make Trade Fair campaign. First performances of ‘Boy In The Well’, ‘Leaving New York’ and ‘I Wanted To Be Wrong’. Chris Martin from Coldplay guests on ‘Man On The Moon’. Peter Buck played mandolin with The Thrills on ‘The Curse Of Comfort’. The show was filmed & an hour long TV special ‘Make Trade Fair Live’ was broadcast on 4 Music on Channel 4 on 1 October 2004. This TV special included Peter Buck joining The Thrills on mandolin on ‘The Curse Of Comfort’, & 3 songs from R.E.M.'s set were shown - ‘Losing My Religion’, ‘Leaving New York’ & ‘Man On The Moon’. ‘Man On The Moon’ was featured on The Sun’s free ‘Make Poverty History’ compilation CD which could be redeemed at Woolworths in the UK from a voucher in the 2 July 2005 edition of The Sun.

“Losing My Religion” - Leaving New York"

“Man On The Moon”

1 Like

My first time seeing the band. Can’t believe it’s nearly 20 years!

Out Of Time is on my current playlist. It was the first R.E.M. record I got. It was so different & beautiful to everything else I’d been listening to. This record will always stand out for me as one of the greats in my collection.
On these days - During the 3rd-22nd of September 1990, R.E.M. were in the recording studio recording tracks for their seventh studio album -

From R.E.M. Timeline
Studio A, Bearsville Sound Studios, Bearsville, NY
Notes: Recording Sessions for ‘Out Of Time’ with producer Scott Litt.
17 September - Further work on: Belong / Blackbirds

“Blackbirds (Half A World Away)”

1 Like

21 September
2011 - R.E.M. announces worldwide that they are disbanding:
“To our Fans and Friends: As R.E.M., and as lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band. We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of astonishment at all we have accomplished. To anyone who ever felt touched by our music, our deepest thanks for listening.”
(R.E.M. Timeline)

And still are. :notes: :two_hearts:

5 Likes

Listening to them while I work today in commemoration of the day’s significance.

24 September
1991 - ‘This Film Is On’* compilation video is released on VHS in the US
(R.E.M. Timeline)

“Country Feedback”

2 Likes

27 September
1994 - R.E.M. ninth studio album ‘Monster’ is released in North America. Previously on the 26th in Europe and Australasia.
Pre-Release Listening Party was at Georgia Theatre, Athens, GA, 26th September -
Playback of the new album, and viewing of ‘What’s The Frequency, Kenneth?’ video, CD raffle, door prizes & T-shirts for sale. R.E.M. were not present. Proceeds benefited Community Connection of Northeast Georgia. (R.E.M. Timeline)

“What’s The Frequency Kenneth”

1 Like

30 September -
(R.E.M. Timeline)
2003 , R.E.M played Air Canada Centre, Toronto, Canada
Support: Sparklehorse
Soundcheck included: Beat A Drum
Set: Begin The Begin / These Days / Maps And Legends / Drive / Animal / Fall On Me / Feeling Gravitys Pull / Bad Day / The One I Love / Beat A Drum / Everybody Hurts / I Believe / Electrolite / Losing My Religion / Find The River / She Just Wants To Be / Walk Unafraid / Man On The Moon
Encore: Nightswimming / Get Up / Sweetness Follows / Happy Birthday To Bill Rieflin & Roy Lamb / Imitation Of Life / It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
Notes: Tour debut for ‘Sweetness Follows’. Show was broadcast over the internet through REM HQ.

“Beat A Drum” @ Toronto, Canada - 30 Sept 2003

2nd October
1985 - R.E.M. played at ‘Rockpalast’, WDR, Zeche, Bochum, West Germany
Set: Feeling Gravitys Pull / Harborcoat / Sitting Still / Maps And Legends / Fall On Me / Green Grow The Rushes / Driver 8 / Hyena / So. Central Rain (I’m Sorry) / Have You Ever Seen The Rain? / Can’t Get There From Here / King Of The Road / 7 Chinese Bros. / Auctioneer (Another Engine) / Old Man Kensey / The Pledge Of Allegiance - Little America - Home On The Range / Pretty Persuasion
Encore 1: Theme From Two Steps Onward / Toys In The Attic / See No Evil / Second Guessing
Encore 2: Riders In The Sky / (Don’t Go Back To) Rockville / We Walk - Falling In Love Again - Behind Closed Doors / Paint It, Black
Notes: After We Walk Michael says ‘So long’ thinking the show is over, but the band had other ideas, launching into ‘Paint It, Black’ leading to Michael signalling to the guys his surprise, before having to climb back on to the stage to perform the song. This show was filmed for the German TV show ‘Rockpalast’ for WDR and can be found on YouTube amongst other places. It’s well worth viewing to see Michael Stipe’s short blonde hair, some great cover songs and the hilarious moment when Michael goes out into the crowd during ‘We Walk’ and pats a big bearded guy on the head. (R.E.M. Timeline)